Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laserman532 7 Watt White Light Projector Circa 1990

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Pat
    Not that I would expect anything less - but that is a damn fine piece of work. Pix in action would be awesome, but in their abscence you can post as many pix as you find, I know I for one will be very happy to see anything of your life in lasers.

Rob
    Thanks rob, I prided myself on custom manufacturing Almost EVERYTHING personally. I rarely made a bunch of money on each system because I invested in NOTHING BUT THE BEST, Absolutely State of the Art for the time. All custom welded steel was powder coated, all custom allum. breadboard and other parts were black anodized, all exterior surfaces were custom painted with baked on enamel texture finish paint. I made my own silkscreen art and silk screened each piece personally. Everything was NEW nothing Surplus or second hand. I would manufacture, install, train, pickup the final payment, and buy drinks for the entire group...because thats how I roll.

Found a picture of the laser(S) mounted below the optical breadboard. This thing was 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and 2 feet high in the back 9" high in the front. Weight??? Crap im not gonna even guess...lets say it was a bunch. Lasers were combined below and shuttered below and pumped up top. Lasers slid out the end on rails for easy service. Lasers were also electrically isolated to eliminate noise being induced into the image electronics. peace out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Circa 1990 No Covers.JPG  

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    ...because thats how I roll.
    Hey Dad! I mmean, Pat! (can't see me right now, but I am bowing down in front of my screen again.. Om... Om... Om...)

...Ah, the Old Skool.. 'I love the smell of freshly-anodized-breadboard in the morning'...

God! Why could I have not met you in '94 instead of going to work for Stone Mountain!!! Dude, I would have soooo been your lasermonkey! (still would!) - well, who knows, the 70's 'came back', the 80's 'came back', and the 90's are just about due... maybe we'll get to 'reign again' one day - eventually, the DPSS vs Ion 'playing-field' will level out, and it will come back to it being, not 'the watts of your wand that counts, but the MAGIC it performs!!!'

True artistry and craftsmanship with lasers will NEVER DIE!!!!! You rule, Dad...P-Pat!!!

- J
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-19-2008 at 00:06.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Smile

Clandestiny had one of these old-school projectors at the original FLEM that we had back in January of 2007. *Very* cool stuff. (And *stupidly* expensive, at least back in the day!) Basically the same design too; a Krypton Argon pair underneath, with a bunch of GM-20's sending the beams topside. He also had a pair of scan heads on the far end (G-120's of course), and it looks like your rig has the same set up. About the only difference I see is that Clandestiny's projector was larger (2 ft by 3 ft by 7 ft) and used turrets for the bounce mirror ports with the GM-20's mounted underneath.

He put a little Lexel 88 (or was it an 85... I forget) inside the thing, and the projector just swallowed it. It was designed to house much larger lasers - Lexel 95's, Coherent I-200's, that sort of thing.

Still, it was a work of art, and when those beam turrets were firing (all 20 of them), it was a sight to behold!

Unfortunately, I think that a projector of that scale is beyond the reach of most hobbyists. But thanks for sharing your pics, Laserman! (Now I need to go wipe the drool off my keyboard...)

Adam

Default Old School? you little wipper snappers! (said like a grumpy old man)

We did scanner beams from the beginning of time (as most of you guys do today) Everyone should build a rail of actuator beams because the "look of the effect" (especially for a stage with remote bounce mirrors) can not be duplicated by scanners IMHO.

(keep in mind when you read my post out loud to yourself...talk like a grumpy old man, it makes reading my post a lot more fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    Everyone should build a rail of actuator beams because the "look of the effect" (especially for a stage with remote bounce mirrors) can not be duplicated by scanners IMHO
    Stunning looking rig that Pat, love it... a real "hairy armed" mans laser
    With you on the wide actuated beam table... add a few flat gratings (can't say starburst any more ) and nothing looks more stunning in full flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Clandestiny had one of these old-school projectors at the original FLEM that we had back in January of 2007. *Very* cool stuff. (And *stupidly* expensive
    Hey Adam -

Wondering if Clan's box might of been one of these-style (First pic: System was designed by Terry Michaels of Laser Artistry, (now, 'OOB' ) and is his pic as well - a very fine example of 'old-skool' (just teasin, Pat!) craftsmanship!

...And as to the 'rationale' for these types of systems, the rest of the pix are for all of the dpss-shoebox 'nu-skoolers' here
    **NOTICE: NOT AN INSULT!!**
    I've made my share of 'shoeboxes' too, and they're fun!)
    as a wise-old 'old-skooler' once said to me: ..."this is how it's done, son!"

The advantage multiple-position-projectors give you is the flexibility (with 50/50 splitters) to 'share' and do both beams (which are HIGHLY underappreciated in the PL-arena, in my opinion! ) fx (like machita) and graphics/aerials/atmospherics- at the SAME TIME..
    keewwl, eh? - and as the next batch o' pix will show, (along with 'proof' of some of my 'shoebox' werk ) these beam-position systems need-not be GIANT - all depends on the 'size of the wand' you're using to make the magic with...

njoy...

- J

(but sorry, Pats' still wins...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image9.jpg  

Large table closer.jpg  

Large table beams.jpg  

beams1.jpg  

Level_3W_2.jpg  

OK, a few of my sorrya$$ 'shoe-box' DPSS projects of the past...did an RGY once, but holding off on RGB till the lasers 'ripen' just a weee bit more this has been a great forum, cause I get to learn from all the 'crash and burns' at a distance.. HAHAHAHAHAhahahaa - sorry, that was mean...

Intent was to enter the 'mini-unit' market (largest of these was 6" x 6" x 12"!), and make units for store-fronts, dynamic in-store 'laser signs', DJ-units (a 30K graphics-capable 'PRO' unit to rival all the 'what's-the-point-outside-of-your-bedroom' lissajous-boxes) etc, but with the new wave of chinese stuff coming out, the 'narrow-to-begin-with' profit margins just made it seem like a great big...WHY???... so, it was fun while it lasted..

peace...

- J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSLS_50pc.jpg  

DSC01308.jpg  

DSC01309.jpg  

GX500_sm.jpg  

GXB3G_2.jpg  

that is amazing, its laser sex!!!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Hey Pat, ya got any old shows on tape?
    we should get together and show these guys a tapefest.

by tape I mean FM-multitrack or Adat.

I have ADAT

Steve