Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Laserman532 7 Watt White Light Projector Circa 1990

thanks VJ

GM20 it is then

all the best ... Karl

Karl,

Adam and I both just purchased a few of the STP 8x's from Mark (Fluff) and Adam was talking about adding a return spring to his STP. I'm sure he'll let us know how it turns out.

And I have to admit the Holo-spectra website can be a bit deceiving since it states in on the page for the STP that it is suitable for a shutter. It should also add that some modifications would be required for a CDRH OKed shutter.

-Max

Boys I have a couple of these actuators which I was thinking of using for a shutter so I did some timing mesurements

they take 30mS to operate but bounce quite a bit so actually take 70mS from signal to fully closed.

Hope this is of help

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    the stp 8 is not suitable as a safety shutter as it lacks a return spring - its a stepper so when its not energized it will not hold a position and could just stay any where it stops
    Hey John -

Good call, bud! - yeah, we hardly have ever used them, and even then, it was only for a few fx pos'ns- machita, etc, so 'ol 'Safety Pup', here wasn't even thinking about that, but you're right - although I have observed that they are pretty good about staying 'home', when power is cut, (and that is, of course, WHERE you'd position the arm for 'shuttering') but yeah, laser safety is NOT about 'pretty good' - best to go with a 'fail-safe' design...

We usually don't even trust GM20s for our main shutters - go straight to the 'hardcore' stuff - Lucas/Ledex rotary-solenoids - CDRH love 'em and Laserscope use them for nearly ALL actuator/shuttering - they are a bit 'hungry', though - 12-15V DC @ at LEAST a FULL amp, but the trade-off is that 'hardcore-return' coil-spring will never let you down...

Anyhoo, kudos for the 'catch' on that and PS- I let Holo know that they really SHOULD revise/clarify that page... they said 'thanks!'

peace out...

- J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03074.JPG  

DSC03041.JPG  

....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

yea those are the same shutters i use
    i have about 3 left (surplus laserscope)
    but i know what you mean about gm20 if the torsion rod were to break then it would just stop any where while they are a lot harder to break then a 120D/124 and while rare i have seen gm20's break