Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer 112 Results (red Hot)

Paul,

With your data I have calculated the following wavelengths:
    rohm: 663.3 nm
    Nichia: 407.6 nm
    Pioneer: 653.8 nm

All is related to the HeNe which has the only truly known wavelength. So the pioneer comes out as a pretty good diode. Maybe cooled it will go down to 650nm?

I've put the calculations in an excel sheet for everyone's convenience. The sheet takes you step by step through the measurements and gives an idea about accuracy while doing all the math in the background. So everybody who can set up a laser can now calculate wavelength. I'm pretty sure the sheet works but haven't checked it too thoroughly (usually this means I got it 99.9% right). It requires measurement of both 1st and 2nd order images for better accuracy. Hope you find it useful, all comments are welcome.

Edit: The pioneer maybe closer to 660 than it looks from this data due to measurement error. To estimate the error, multiple measurements can be taken...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zoof; 09-10-2010 at 23:32.

Thanks guys for the working out of the measurments and Adam as usall with the how and why its done in detail (thx Adam).This is something else that i have learnt in the past few days. there is an infared chip on the (ps3) but i have never wired it up to try it( 1 diode can but three chips stacked inside it hope this is the answer to you question allthatwhichis.
    Paul
    Last edited by kaz; 02-03-2008 at 16:30. Reason: added something

Paul, you're welcome and thanks for taking these measurements. Last night it was a bit late and didn't have much time to post. Looking at the end results again I think it is safe to assume that the calculated wavelengths are a bit long around 2 to 3nm. So it is safe to say the pioneer diode is 650nm - which is the data I was looking for. Again thanks for going through the trouble measuring.
    The 3nm inaccuracy originates from the calculated spacing 'd' variable based on a single hene measurement. To improve accuracy the method in the excel sheet requires 1st and 2nd order measurements that are averaged to get the result. You got data from different lasers so that also helps estimate the error. Impressive that you can measure nanometers right?

Hi Andyf97, I know this not going to help much but there is nothing on the diode to reference it to there is no writing on the diode, unless pioneer have put the information up as a data sheet some where i think it will be very difficult to find any good info
    Paul

Unfortunately this is the lottery of using DVD burners as a source for diodes, and as you found out Paul, there are now more drives appearing that dont have user friendly packaged diodes let alone any indication of the make and part no.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

you can say that again Rob, Andyf97 sent me a mail about the diodes seems quite intresting he may be able to find the source from where the diodes come from will keep people informed of progress, hopefully andy will post the info on here for people to see it
    Paul

Chances are, even if they did find the source, that the diodes will cost more than the clearence burners at $28 each. But, keep up the search! it would be great to get an actual datasheet.

Hi Andy, to me it just looks like he had taken a diode out of a burner and is selling it, and some of the info he has put up is correct but what he is not telling you is that at higher output powers you are going to shorten the life of the diode by alot if you dont mind that there is know problem, also it looks like it is mounted in a typical aixiz module which is great for lower powers because it is small and you can focus the beam, i have made matches ignite at 250mw from 25 feet away by focusing the beam down to a spot but that is with a custom made aluminium block sucking the heat away running this diode in a aixiz module at 350mw i would be very very surprised if the diode lasted more that an hour tops, i think on one of the posts i said 20 minutes tops at 250mw but i always play it on the safe side ( habbit) link to module
    http://cgi.ebay.com/12-X-30mm-laser-...QQcmdZViewItem
    these pioneer burners are not a bad price around £22 and are readily available on line to buy and take the diode out for yourself, you can save yourself some money that way and you will be getting an excellent diode that can put up with alot of abuse and you dont have to worry about back reflection to much as there is no feed back regulation for diode power control