Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saftey Goggles

Hi,

There is not a goggle means to protect all wavelengths from blue to green to red, or as you say you will see nothing.

Usually laser safety goggles protect a range wavelength, 200-540, 600-700, 200-540&800-1100, 600-700&800-1100 etc., yes, it shouldnot protect all the visible light at the same time.

Luke

The white light goggles protect against 473nm, 532nm, 635nm and 650nm. The Optical density at those wavelengths are 2, 3, 2, 2 respectively. You do still see light, and no you dont need 400w of metal halide light. My workspace uses 4 MR-16 style 25w lamps and I can see my optical table still. It takes a few seconds to let your eyes adjust, but the protection is worth it. FYI I can still see my cell phone display with the combo of the goggles I have.

The leftover light is the remaining portions of the spectrum along with the bit of transmission you get from each of the protected wavelengths.

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by SALES View Post
    There is not a goggle means to protect all wavelengths from blue to green to red, or as you say you will see nothing.
    If they block narrow bands around 473, 532 and 635-660 nm, there will still be light inbetween the blocked bands available for viewing. Probably expensive though.

mliptack, are your RGB goggles the ones in the group buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    If they block narrow bands around 473, 532 and 635-660 nm, there will still be light inbetween the blocked bands available for viewing. Probably expensive though.

The goggles always protect a range but not a rated value, if the O.D is 2,3,2,2, that will be ok to see and your vision will be still good, only many people pursue at leat an O.D of 4, 5, 6 even 7, 8 except red goggles(red usually of a big beam). You should choose a goggle according to its power, beam dimension, also the type of the laser, CW or PULSED

Luke

I see. Maybe they have narrower absorption bands than the single color goggles, because looking at their absorption spectra they were anything but narrow. Anyone have an absorption spectrum for "whitelight" goggles?

I'm wondering if dichro material would be good as laser protection.

Zoof, you are absolutely correct! The goggles I am talking about are the ones in the group buy.

And yeah the more narrow the band of absorption the more light 'in-between' will get to your eyes. I'm not sure of the absorption band and how wide or narrow it may be.

Luke, Like you said, it really depends on the laser you are using. You wont need an OD of 8 for a 500mw laser...

These white light goggles wouldn't be great for a multi-watt projector, sure they're better than nothing in that case, but they are better suited for what a lot of us are using now or are planning on building in the future.

Tocket, the absorption band will change between manufacturers. So the specs for one of course would not be appropriate for another. I do not currently have the absorption band specs on these goggles, but I might be able to get them... I'll do some research.

Nanowatt... in a way the goggles are like dichros, well actually they are similar in a lot of ways. Except the change of angle does not affect the pass/reflect of the laser light. Also many goggles the pigments that absorb or reflect the light are infused with the plastic, rather than coated on the outside surface. Thus making goggles much more durable and not damaged if scratched etc. I am sure someone else on the board has a better description of how they work exactly, as I am no expert on the subject.

-Max