Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pondering a home show setup

Default Pondering a home show setup

Thanks to Chad, Buffo and Jon for giving me a little insight into laser responsibility. It makes me more eager to want to learn more about lasers, and I realize it's never too early to plan. I am helping one of my bosses at her home by installing a Sonos system. That's an audio system that gives wireless music in every room (info at http://www.sonos.com/).

I've only installed speakers in 2 rooms so far. Later, we will have outdoor music and such, and each zone can have it's own music. Well, she is excited about the audio so far. When I finish she will be ecstatic. She's also pouring some major bucks into the home audio.

Later, I may consider adding in laser effects to the music. They would be overhead. She has an elevated ceiling in the exercise room (pictures are here: http://www.cnetworksllc.com/Rosemary/RoseMary_Home.html)

I was thinking something like 10mW of green or enough to be cool in the dark (she isn't tech savvy, so anything with a green beam would look nice). I haven't run this by her, since I am just in thinking mode right now.

So, it will be a unit for the home with primarily beam effects. I can use a cheap, replaceable laser if that's a better option. She always likes the suggestions I give, and I thought this would be a way of adding further value to her already expensive audio setup ($2000 for 3 rooms). She has Polk Audio speakers which don't distort at the volume we're using, even when loud. Even when hooked to the computer, the Sonos Zoneplayer 100 does not produce any hum through the speakers, so it's got built in ground-loop isolation (or the sound card does the filtering).

I would set some tiny mirrors in the home as well to allow a couple of beam paths, like jumping from one beam to another to a certain beat. Maybe include some laser fanning as well. If the beams are overhead, and out of reach, maybe I can go higher power than 10mW.

This will be single color, and a semi-permanent install. What I mean is, the room will be setup (if she goes for that after a demo) to allow for the laser, but the laser could be moved to another room.

The exercise room has the highest ceiling, and it's got a great location, sunk down from the rest of the home. I won't need show creation software. Just something that can playback. She doesn't want to go cheap on the sound, but I have to see about the laser system. If it's something she doesn't decide to go for, I can use it myself. However, then I'd have to spend the money, which isn't really in my budget now.

So after the audio system is done, I will need a cheap demo before I do a slightly better install.

I think you'd be better off showing her some zoofscope or abstract type stuff unless she doesn't mind having a hazer running in her house!

^ I was thinking the same thing.

A different alternative would be to have some soft colored lights that are directed upwards towards the ceiling so that the ceiling changes color with the music. Kind of like those TVs that have ambient lighting built in so that the room sort of changes color to match what the TV is showing. But even still, it seems like a lot of money for something that would probably lose its novelty appeal after a short time.

Perhaps, instead, you can just give her a bag of weed.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    ^
    Perhaps, instead, you can just give her a bag of weed.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The LED thing would be quite cheap to do. Showtec do some very cheap led fixtures that can be stand alone or DMX. - If she doesn't mind her gaf looking like a cheesy german disco!

I'm in the US so I'm not sure the slang "gaf" what that means.

I guess DMX is some kind of effects, but not sure.

Ah, sorry, its like "Home" or "place". DMX is a communications protocol used for lighting control in theatres etc.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_...lu_poliert.htm

here is a link to an LED fixture that can respond to DMX to allow you to mix the colours. It is really just a load of red, green and blue LEDs but it also has built in program so you can use it stand-alone. You could maybe use it to create a background colour wash and then project some abstracts on top with a green laser.

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by nanoWatt View Post
    I'm in the US so...
    Hey Nano -

First off - NOT STALKING YOU!! Really... Just wanna post 'ya another 'friendly fyi' that even a measily 10mW system of whatever-color, will STILL require a Variance YES it is in the HOME (private), BUT you can still get busted if you SELL it to her, without a Variance... (pain in the butt, eh? ) - check it: http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/comp/guidance/1349.html -and the relevant excerpt, in this case, is:

Guidance for Dealers and Distributors

Dealers and distributors of laser light show projectors must have approved laser light show variances to purchase equipment from projector manufacturers. This requirement ensures that awareness of laser light show radiation safety and protection practices and regulatory requirements are transferred from one variance holder to the next.

Additionally, we assume that dealers and distributors may need to demonstrate the capabilities of the laser light show projectors to customers during the course of sale. In doing so, dealers and distributors are manufacturing a laser light show, which requires a laser light show variance.

Therefore, any dealer or distributor of laser light show projectors must submit the required reports and apply for a variance to purchase and sell laser light show projectors. Laser light show projectors shall not be purchased until that variance application is approved and the purchasing party provides the projector manufacturer the purchaser’s variance number and its effective date.
    Last edited by dsli_jon; 01-21-2008 at 03:48.
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

(Uh...not sure what the HECK was WRONG with PL tonight - totally WACKY errors...(???)

Anyhoo...My advice? (like you ASKED, right? ) - yes, you COULD stick to 5mW, (then you don't NEED a Variance as a distributor OR manufacturer', if you 'DIY'...) - but where's the fun in THAT??!!

- Better idea: if you want to stick to lasers, (AND since you are surmising she is willing to 'spend major bux' for a 'cool' environment) why not buy an already CERTIFIED projector, ie: http://www.lumalaser.com/chart_beamburst-models.htm and THEY will help you with Variance prep/submission (as PART OF the sale) and then, you can sell her as many mW as she is willing to spring for - who knows? if you show her some cool pix, (and great pix almost ALWAYS 'close' a deal!), she might spring for a 250mW or something, and tell her with a system like THIS 'she would have the 'baddest rec-room in the CITY', not just on the block'! (can ya tell I used to be in advertising? )

Only motive behind my 'friendly tip' (and PS - I do NOT work for 'Lumalaser' ) is just to help you 'do what you want', but withIN the laws - pain as they are, they ARE laws - and LAST thing you want is some rediculous lawsuit ("Uh, Mr. Nano, my cat got hit in the eye with your laser, and she's BLIND now, and we want $10 million, or we'll see you in court!" ) - yes, I KNOW you're not in 'California' but all I am saying is ya gotta cover your keister, and this would be a 'win-win' way to go...

Just 'mis dos centavos'

peace..

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Great advice Jon. I do actually like the DMX recommendation with lights that change colors. That might be safer, and less costly. I don't think there would be variance required for lighting, but it would need to be to a certain building code. Don't want to start any fires for bad wiring and such.

If I do go the route of lasers, I will definately consider a company that has a completed unit. This isn't really a business I'm wanting to go into. I help her around the house and office with what she needs. Right now, it's the home audio in almost every room. Later, it might be the ambient lighting effects. LED might be the way to go in this case.

Well good look with it, and if you have any DMX questions I'm sure we'll help you out. It's fairly straight forward and depending on what control equipment you got you'd be able to get individual colour mixing control over seperate fixtures if you wanted to. You can always offer to provide a laser projector for occasional parties etc after you've built your first RGB!

Cheers,

Matt.