Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spaghetti progress

I know that little feedback can be a little demotivating, but you've got a great thing going here. I see it as the perfect match for the open source dac I'm currently developing (there was a slight delay, but I'm back on track now ).

It's all about making things more affordable for us hobbyists.

Maybe in time, you can even add a live player.

Hi Carmangary,

Thanks for the reply,

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Just curious, what is the total size of all the 1665 files in that directory?
    809 MB (848,441,344 bytes), its the collection of .ild files that came with iShow. I would normally break the files down into types of show etc.
    Only problem now is that Spaghetti is trying to load that folder on startup, I will uninstall and then re-install to see if that solves the problem then select a directory that has only a few files in it.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    As a user, what would you want to be displayed when you opened a folder with 1665 files?
    For me, just a list of file names really, normally you either know what you are looking for or you are just looking/display/editing every file to see what it is.

Cheers

André

I don't think filenames would be very useful. At least not for me. You can't make me believe that you remember what is in each of those 1600+ files. Spaghetti creates very small icon and when you hover over it with the mouse it will animate. Nevertheless I will work on something to improve it and perhaps add a file name view that you can toggle to.

You could create a visual browser that just peeks at all the files without loading their entire contents into memory, then allow one to pick from those icons to load those files into a project list. If you figure out a way to store the icon thumnails, you'd only have to do it when the directory contents change.

James.

That's sort of what I am thinking. I just want to make sure that it is responsive so that there isn't a delay when the user selects something. I hate GUIs where you click something and a second later it finally does something. There is always the trade off of doing it upfront or on the fly.

Wink

I hate to bum you out any more... but I really think that C# and the whole dot net thing is a giant millstone around your neck.

I struggled for years with a Linux only laser application.

Then I found SDL.

I'm not suggesting SDL is your answer, necessarily. I just think you should look into a platform independent windows widget API. There are a few really good ones!

Hopefully, your ideas are concrete enough to be implemented in a generic GUI development environment.

James.

I'm not sure why you say that. C#/.NET hasn't impeded me at all. The performance issues have nothing to do with .NET.

Thumbs up

It only works with XP and Vista. Not everyone uses those OS's. In time, I think more people will migrate away from them. You're not doing yourself any good by cramming all that MS specific stuff into your head. How much do you rely on the CLI to solve your problems? You can't move that! You're stuck there. Generic C++ will set you free. And, you'll have something really nice to put on your resume.

James.

Well luckily for the people without Windows XP or Vista there is LaserBoy to set them free.

While James is correct, I doubt that the C# .Net crap will go away.
    Transitioning from C# to C++ is also a lot harder then from C++ to C#.
    But then again, if you know C#, you should be able to do the same stuff in JAVA, and then everything is cross compatible to start with.

I certainly hope that linux will become a more popular OS. I refuse to install vista on my machines.

I just bought a FB3 so I'll have to wait for pangolin to make an SDK before I can play with the FB3 directly. On the other hand, I have great included software to start with.