Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ahhhhhhhhh i hate lasers!!!!!!!!

what are you talking about???

my duel red?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yeah, I'm still a little confused on how to Earth my Maxzyz without wiring the common ground to the earth and blowing everything....

Have you wired the commong ground to the earth at all in your set up?

ive wired the black (-) to the -

but earthing mine makes them go pop
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks Andy, I'd beter PM Marconi.....

Sorry about your lasers man... Lets hope Royal mail pull their fingers out there butt and do somthing about it.

Sucks when they do that!

I have 2 Sony SLD1236VL that I can send you. They might be the ones you were looking at getting from the US. I got them from Stonetek last wednesday. They're hardly rated for 200 mW CW, but if you push them a bit they will do it (maybe not for long though because the beam starts looking weird past 185 mA).

I live in Sweden, so it shouldn't take more than a day to mail them. I'll pass them on for the same price as I paid, £10 a piece + £1 in shipping.

Datasheet:
    http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/c.../sld1236vl.pdf

Laserlips the Maxyz can be grounded! But if you look at the module you will see the inner laser module. There is a grey thermally conductive material. That is the material that isolates them from the ground (the heat sink for example is grounded). If that inner module gets grounded there goes your diode. It doesn't matter if the heat sink is grounded...

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by uk-laser View Post
    Simon,
    How did you find the Rohms to use?
    I had problems much above 100mW.
    Never even plugged one in TBH Robin, so no idea... I recall from somewhere that they should be ok for ~150mW in a projector (not CW)

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    If that inner module gets grounded there goes your diode.

I can vouch for the fact it will kill the diode as i've just done exactly that

I was adjusting focus a little at a time with the laser off, I was then powering it up to check the focus. Sadly I accidentally touched the case (for about 1 microsecond) with the implement I was using to adjust the focus... There went my diode!

It's on its way back to Chuck as I speak, thank goodness I keep a spare Maxyz otherwise I would have been down on power for the UK meet.

The daft thing is I knew what I was doing AND the risk I was taking, I thought I was being extremely careful, just goes to show how easy it is to screw up diode lasers.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

The only diode I managed to kill so far was when I, in a weak moment, placed the heatsink of the diode on top of the PSU that was running it. I get seriously upset at myself for being so stupid, because I knew the PSU case was grounded and I knew that the diode was current regulated through ground... ARGH! It's one of those times when you feel you're about to do something stupid, but at the time you realize it it's too late to stop your hand from doing what it's doing.

Now I'm running my diodes with a TEC, so the diode is isolated from the heatsink, but I still won't place it on the PSU!

Quote Originally Posted by tocket View Post
    Sucks when they do that!

I have 2 Sony SLD1236VL that I can send you. They might be the ones you were looking at getting from the US. I got them from Stonetek last wednesday. They're hardly rated for 200 mW CW, but if you push them a bit they will do it (maybe not for long though because the beam starts looking weird past 185 mA).

I live in Sweden, so it shouldn't take more than a day to mail them. I'll pass them on for the same price as I paid, £10 a piece + £1 in shipping.

Datasheet:
    http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/c.../sld1236vl.pdf
    thanks for the offer i was just hoping somone in the UK might have some
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat