Thread: IR laser - mixing with visible light

Default IR laser - mixing with visible light

Is it possible to combine a visible light laser with an IR laser using a standard dichro? I have a 532nm laser in my laser harp, and I was thinking of switching to IR for the reflection detector.

To do this I would need to mix in a relatively low power IR laser - can this do done with the green pass dichro I have from Edmunds Optics?

How about if you remove the IR filter from the green? would enough IR get through?

the Problem with using the Ir from the dpss is that it will be poorly collimated you may be butter doing it as originally thought with a dichro The EO one should do the trick as im sure you will find that it will pass plenty of ir The problem may be aligning thou you could do this via a Web cam which will show Ir very clearly.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thinking about it I might need another dichro...

My dichro passes all and reflects red, so I would need one that reflects 532nm and passes all - in this case the IR.

Why?
    if the dichro passes all (inc green) and reflects red (inc ir) then its right to mix the two....
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Is removing the IR filter an easy task? I've never taken a laser apart before (although I have disassembled more complex things), is there a high risk of breaking the laser?

Also with the IR filter removed is there more risk of skin burns?

...and can you go blind as quickly from exposure to an IR laser?

Steve

removing the IR filter DOES pose some dangers. IR is invisible so therefore, you can be exposing yourself and anyone elese for that matter to relatively HIGH amounts of radiation without even knowing it. Well, not knowing it until its too late. And yes, it DOES burn easier altohugh its poorly collimated also. kinda a double edge sword. what powers are we talking here??
    -Marc

This is why I want to go the "additional laser" route - at least then I will know the IR power - and if I can manage with a 5mw to trigger the sensor, then this has to be safer than 50mw+