Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with PL?!?

Default Whats up with PL?!?

Has anyone else had a lot of errors when trying to post or unusually long search times?

It's to the point where I can't even post replies 90% of the time.

-Max

Yep, I have the same thing. It seems to have improved now... a few hours ago I got a 403 nearly every time I tried to load a page. When I tried to post something I just got to a blank page when I pressed submit.

It's always a good practice to copy what you're about to post before pushing the button though. That way you don't lose it if something goes wrong. For really long posts I use notepad.

Hah, I do the same thing, except I don't paste it in notepad or anything I just keep it on the clipboard...

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Has anyone else had a lot of errors when trying to post or unusually long search times?

It's to the point where I can't even post replies 90% of the time.

Hey Max / Tock -

yeah, this was driving me CRAZY last night couldn't manage to post, reply to messages, or even log in (would not 'take', just kept refreshing to the log in page) 403s, 404s, blanks, etc - what I finally did (after restarting my DSL modem like 10 x and assigning my self a bloody new IP address...sheesh) was simply restart my browser - AND my Mac - complete re-boot, and SO FAR, tonight, it seems fixed - I was worried it was server-side (server virus? worm? hacker? PR??? ) - cause it was happening in every browser I have - even OLD ones I keep for testing, etc, and it was really frieking me out...
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...32&postcount=8

You guys STILL having issues? (report back AFTER a reboot)

ciao
    - J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

I re-booted last night after the first set of issues. I ended up trying a different computer in the house still with the same problems. But I kept getting reply notices in my email, so I figured it was on my side. I just went to bed around 11 and hoped it would work in the morning.

I got a few today, but posting seems fine. I keep getting longer than normal search times though.

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I got a few today, but posting seems fine. I keep getting longer than normal search times though.
    Hey Max - yeah, I just NOW got a 'blank reply' when posting to a thread - so much for 'fixed' I think somethin is up with the PL server - if it is across multiple browsers, multiple, 'IP-unique' machines and even CONTINENTS (ie Tocket), well that sounds server-side to me...

- gosh, wouldn't it SUK if we came here and PL was WIPED OUT????

...maybe I shouldn't have said that... 601

... (Ha! - free x-grating (next time I am back in NY) to the first person can tell me what that means AND WHY I put it up

- J

well THAT's sure the way to 'flush the bowl'...

...now maybe we can all get something DONE around the 'shop'...

g'nite!

- J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yeah_LATER_taco.jpg  

got the same thing

601. Windows terminal services error: Port Unavailable, typically vomited back by the focus window when there is a generic/nondescript yet permanent hardware error with a modem.

I *think* I got that bug killed and I *think* that because I have yet to see a blank page when stress testing the mysql database connection. Multiple connections and multiple writes don't seem to choke anymore. One thing I had to do was upgrade to php 5.2.x and unfortunately the PL Gallery is completely dead in the water because of it.

I'm working on a solution... And hopefully this one wont destroy something else.

For those of you who are interested in details:

Server:
    PHP5.2 installed
    MySQL 5.0.24a upgraded from 4.2
    cgi-fcgi installed (FastCGI parser)

VBulletin:
    Attachments moved into the file system from the database.
    Avatars and Profile pictures moved into file system.
    CSS moved to the file system.
    GZip/GZip compression levels *removed* entirely.
    Post cache increased from 7 days to 30.
    Web spiders were slapped around and told where they could stick their queries.

And a whole bunch of other junk I can't remember right now.

It's been a *retardedly* long day.

Cool

Hey Spec;

Good job dude. Things are working a lot better. (FYI folks, this problem started Sunday evening with my account. Spec started looking into it back then, thinking it was isolated to just me. Turns out it was something much larger, and he's been working nearly non-stop to fix it ever since.)

Everything is working now, though I'm getting all the re-direct messages now for every action. Never got those before except for initial log-in. Not really a big deal, just something different. But no more failed replies, so life is good!

Adam