Thread: VJ's stuff.

Default VJ's stuff.

Guys any recommendations on good VJ software. Software with a lot of self processing effects music visualizers and Camera inputs. Or just good music visualizers.

Thanx.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

i use
    visual jockey gold
    r4 rabid hamster
    resolume

those 3 should do anything you need

AVMixer Pro from http://www.neuromixer.com/ is good value and I've happily used it for a couple of years; its inbuilt recording function means I still use it to build new clips; however, since the NUVJ http://nuvj.arkaos.net/
    came out, I've only used that for live gigs - it's a brilliant piece of kit and includes a cut-down version of Arkaos, which is pretty much the industry standard for VJ-ing. Loads of easily accessible effects, easy set-up of clips on buttons for instant cueing, variable speed playback - well worth the money.
    (As with a lot of electronics, seems to be much cheaper in the USA than in the UK...)

(I should point out that the NUVJ is a USB Controller, it doesn't do any of the actual processing - for that, it needs to be plugged into a well-specced PC - dual core 2 Ghz processer, 2 Gig memory, 512 MB fast graphics card, Firewire port if you want a camera input - would be the sort of thing you need, a cheap laptop with a Celeron processer or any sort of shared graphics won't be up to the job)
    Last edited by greenalien; 01-23-2008 at 00:58. Reason: Added more computer specs

yea i dont know arkaos always kinda sucked i cant remember why at this moment but i have done test and for that style of clip play back + effects resolume was better
    but i think what you would find most useful from your post is r4 rabid hamster as its an open gl visualizer that you can write your own scripts with (but it does require code skills) but it comes with like 100 pre mad patches that you can re brand with the branding tool
    the cool thing about r4 is that the interface works through http so what i have done at shows was use my ipaq to control it remotely and walk around the club

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

R4 kicks ass. Exactly what I wanted. Also has camera input.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Thanks for that!!

I looked at all of this stuff years ago and things sure have come along way.

Second on the R4 kicks ass!!

My main computer has 2 21" sony trinitron monitors at 1800 x 1440. I did a full screen across both of those and played with R4 for a hour. I was using the web interface with my iphone to change the images.

Ain't technology grand!

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hey everyone.

I am new but have been asked my my dad (kevski) to join this forum to help you guys with this post as I am a VJ myself. I think I can help you out as I am good friends with 'stanwax' and have an insight into laser technology and have always been interested in the syncing of audio and light/visuals.

So anyway enough of my rambling on, I just wanted to introduce myself, so.... VJing apps...

First off I know a good website that lists all the VJ applications and information on them that you can browse through:-

http://www.softwarevj.com/

There are loads of VJ style applications, but as for " self processing effects music visualizers" this only really applies to stuff like winamp visualizations or media player visualizations. Most of the VJ apps I have looked at involve a degree of pre-editing/setting up.

My advise would be Arkaos VJ. (This can control DMX as-well by the way) It is probably the best for camera's as well. It can accept firewire and USB 2.0.

As most software there is a huge range of GUI and features so I cant say exactly what would suit you best. It depends on what you want exactly... how much real time capability you want, how many visuals you want to trigger, if you want it to be 'plug-and-go' type of thing? Hope I'm making sense!

Any questions just ask away, I can contact a lot of users from an array of forums I am a part of, so hopefully we can help each other out.

Thanks.

skulpture

Welcome G

Im sure appart from helping, as we all do round here, you will find other interesting stuff that will catch your eye - ouch - careful with that beam

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk