Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The BANTHAI BEAST

karl, will this be ready for the meet??
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Not quite sure .....

Dont want to rush it ..... at the moment it could very well be ready ... but any snags may hold it up

all the best .... Karl

oh yes i know about snags !!!!

LOL keep up the good work
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Next installment

here come the problems ...............

optics are now in position i have found that they work at thier optimum at 45deg .... but im having some losses

im using a slightly different layout to most ..... i think this compares to the one someone posted last week that medialas use ..... this configuration allows adjustment for the different hight in the diodes and i have found is the easiest to adjust and setup

the problem is im getting some horrible losses through the optics

the red im losing over 150mW ... from 640 to 530mW .... no im guessing that the first mirror that it hits ( which is a broadband mirror ) so it looks like i would be better with a mirror and dichro that has optimum reflection at 635nM

the green is also losing over 150mW as this is passing through 2 dichros

and the blue again is using a mirror and a hitting a dicro so again ther will be some losses there .... so from 1.3 W to .....

so over 300mW loss so need some improvement there then

next is to get the scanner positions and poly20 wheel into position

if anyone can recomend somewhere to buy mirrors and dichros in the UK that would improve what i have, also need a couple more MM1 mounts

all the best ..... Karl
    Last edited by Banthai; 05-29-2009 at 09:32.

Karl

PM sent

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Wow ..... it shows what a great bunch of guys you are here ..... thanks for the offers of help with the optics ..... and thanks to the "person" in the US who is helping me ( dont know if you want to be made public or not ) .... i will test these new optics when they arrive and check the losses etc compared to the old ones, i will do a reveiw here on PL im sure there will be a vast improvement ....

sorry NO update on the Banthai beast today .......

due to my Basement / workshop is 2 inchs under water .... unfortnately i live above a water table that rises ( flows from the mountains in the Lake district out to sea ... ) so every couple of years when we have excessive rain about 1 week later the water table rises and water seeps through the concreate floor ( 2 inches is the maximum it has ever rissen ) ...
    now i have a pump system in place that starts on a level sensor in the sump .... But unfortunatley the check valve blocked .... so yesterday went down to wade through the water ....

its all pumped out now ... but dont want to be down there standing in puddles whilst using power tools .... so its all on hold for a few days

that means it wont be ready for the UK meet, but will be for the next one

all the best .... Karl

Karl, I hope to see improvement on your projector soon.

I hope the mounts and optics work well for you

-Max

Thanks Max, for helping me out with these mounts and dichros

I look forward to getting them and carrying on with this project,

my workshop is nearly dried out so should be able to resume work soon

all the best .... Karl

4 months later ..... and the banthai beast has awoken from its hibernation

I finaly find some time to carry on this project

now with some nice additions ....

i have ditched the Wide moves ( well not ditched, they wil have a place on projector No 2

in there place is a set of Laserworld 50k scanners, now im not disputing the 50k ..... but when you read the manual it states that the mirrors would need to be replaced with smaller units to achive that speed

But in fairness im running them at 30k and they are not struggling or running hot and they arived well tuned, the ilda test pattern looks good at 30k and thats strait out of the box.

i will also say the contruction it top notch and with heatsinks fitted, the cables have quality D connectors fitted with locking screws ( all though i removed the shells on the scanner plugs as they would hit the top of the case.

its not and ideal colour ballance
    620mw Red 635
    580mw green 532
    150mw blue 473

the total output prior to optics is 1.3W but the blue does cut through ok and the white is a bit creamy due to the ballance

all that is left to do now is fit the shutters and the polywheel

the beam shots were taken with only a hint of haze as there were customers in the restaurant ubove my basement workshop, and the smoke seeps through the floor .... didnt want to set off the fire alarm

so i will take some better beam shots later with more haze

thanks to Max for the mirrors and the mounts .... they helped improve the efficiency

also found that using this layout ( nearfeild and farfeild adjustment ) beam alignment is a doddle .... it takes seconds intead of hours

and as the usual requirement ..... heres piccys
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0510.jpg  

DSCF0514.jpg  

DSCF0519.jpg  

DSCF0522.jpg  

Last edited by Banthai; 06-28-2008 at 12:48.

Thumbs up

Looking good there man. If I could request a shot of the beam layout inside the projector. I see what looks like a lot of optics in your layout. I'd like to see where everything runs.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin