Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The BANTHAI BEAST

That is some excellent information to know before one starts to lay out the pieces and drill the holes!

I plan on going solid state, but I have a working system, so I can take my time to put together the best stuff I can find. I'd also like to get stuff from other PL members, even if it costs a bit more. At least I have an idea of where it came from. Like everyone else says... This forum is THE BEST. I love reading stuff here.

Can you (or have you already) shed some light on your dichro selection, testing and alignment?

Hang on a second.... I'm reading this whole thread again. I see you have some stuff to say about it....

Thanks!

Oh yeah... nice pictures too!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-05-2008 at 11:38.

James
    in respect of the dichro angles I have found the same as Karl in that sometimes they do crazy things - like Edmund optics reflect blue dichro pass a HUGE ammount of valuable blue laser light when set at 45 degrees. In fact it reflects blue best when its surface is 90 degrees to the beam! - which obviouly is somewhat limiting when building a projector.
    So Im with Karl - try stuff yourself and let your own inovation take over from what is assumed to be gospel.
    The other one (that I keep banging on about) is placing PBS cubes at an angle
    see here....http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4693

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hey, this is information this I need too!
    It's only difficult to adjust the best angle if you do not have a power meter.
    Unless the difference in output can be seen with you eye.

Quote Originally Posted by MambaFreak View Post
    Hey, this is information this I need too!
    It's only difficult to adjust the best angle if you do not have a power meter.
    Unless the difference in output can be seen with you eye.
    Get yourself an inexpensive solar cell, like a piece of photovoltaic. Put a piece of white (clear) polyethylene packing foam on the surface of it to catch and disperse the laser beam and use a digital volt meter to read its output. It won't tell you anything about absolute power, but you don't need that. You need relative power.

EDIT NOTICE: !!!
    "white (clear) polyethylene packing foam "
    I have never tried this with a laser of any real power!
    I guess the good new is that you could try a tiny bit of it and see if it burns. PE foam is pure CH4 polymer; (no Cl). Although it does have plasticizers and it is expanded with butane (I think).

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 07-07-2008 at 10:02.

James/Audrey
    this idea is much better with an analogue meter - like you say James the actual reading is of no consequence but reading a swinging needle is easier visually than reading a digital sample off a voltmeter. I have a little device I call 'Peaky Meter' its a £2.50 cheap and nasty analogue meter that has a photodiode (as an alternative to a solar cell - either will do the trick) permanently (if a little poorly) attached to the probe inputs. Its great for tweaking the optics on my ion laser or tuning in the NEOS PCAOM and would work a treat in this instance. Build yourself one today Audrey you wont regret it!

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

You can also use a green LED, this has the added benefit of having a diffuser built in however would perform differently for different wavelengths
    P.S. not all green LEDs work, try a few and measure the output on a digital multimeter (unfortunately it needs to be digital as you'll only get millivolts/amp out)
    http://www.sbk-laser.ch/PowerMeter.htm
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

karl your beast be at the meet???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    (unfortunately it needs to be digital as you'll only get millivolts/amp out)
    I reckon you will only get a tiny ammount from a photodiode too but I find it works on 0.5mA range and on the resitance ranges too - these provide the power.

Rob

andy asked ...
    karl your beast be at the meet???
    hopefully .... yes

all the best ... Karl

look forward to seeing it.

should be plenty of colour at this meet
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat