Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Guru Reuired - Please help

Default Electronics Guru Reuired - Please help

Calling all electronics wizzards..

I have decided to revisit an old project and add a bit of old school to my projector in the form of a 20 position diffraction wheel that I bought from Laser Visuals.

I originally bought a Neo-Laser Remote Desktop setup, which is essentially an FB3 in a remote box with a few Neo-Laser add ons. It was sold to me on the understanding that it will control beam tables in ANY projector and comes with a modified copy of Pangolin Live Pro that has an extra panel for beam table control.

However, Neo-Laser offered no support, but Pangolin stepped in to help with a control board that I could add to the FB3. Unfortunately I could not get this working. Added to that, there are power distribution issues in the box which causes the FB3 to crash, plus loads of noise on the scanner signals.

So I decided to bite the bullet and go for a QM2000 solution, so I can control the diffraction wheel over DMX. However, with nothing connected to the motor and driver board except power, the wheel oscilates continuously. This occured since another wizard had a go at getting it running, he did mention that he changed or added a capacitor somewhere.

I am pretty basic with electronics and still slowly learning.

So, is there anyone out there who would be prepared to have a go at fixing this for me? I am of course prepared to pay for your efforts.

I really want to get this working, but don't want to fork out on a DMX - Analogue converter board until I am sure it will all work. This hobby is expensive enough without throwing money away on a non starter.

Details of the wheel can be found here: http://www.laservisuals.com/poly20kit.htm

I can bring it along to the UK meet if anyone fancies having a go, as it is now obviously out of warranty.

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Mark

Hi buddy

I also have one of these ( without the DMX board ) that is working

I will take a photo of the driver board today and post it here

If you can do the same with yours we can compare the components

Im guessing that you have the speed pot connected and plugged in as it wont work in stand alone mode without it

all the best .... Karl

Hey Karl,

Thanks for the swift reply there...

I had it working on the pot that was supplied, but since it was looked at by a third party it oscillates with or without the pot connected.

Here are a couple of pics, the full set, driver, motor, actuator and one of the board itself..

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1004.JPG  

DSCN1007.JPG  

Hi buddy

here is my unit ... lets compare

1, it will need the pot connected to work stand alone also it will need the cap on the pot also

all the best... Karl

also if you notice the pot wires are not in the same order on the connector as they are on the pot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0362.jpg  

I cant see any difference although im afraid your piccys are a bit blurry

i used to have the PDF diagram someware .... but cant find it at the moment

maybe worth PMing James stuart here to see if he can send you one

all the best .... Karl

Mark
    If push comes to shove I will have soldering gear plus other bits n bobs inc a scope at teh meet and will gladly take a look 4 u

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Thanks Rob,

That's great news, I will bring it along.

I would love to see what it looks like doing the 180 fan with your whitelight. I have a sneaking suspicion it would look awesome..

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    I would love to see what it looks like doing the 180 fan with your whitelight. I have a sneaking suspicion it would look awesome..
    I wonder what makes you think that...

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Thanks Rob,

That's great news, I will bring it along.

Hmmm I may just have to see that too - well it will need testing

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Don't get me wrong, I love my DPSS, but that gas laser does some amazing warm colours....

Only wish I had 3 phase in my living room...

A company I used to work for had a 30watt coherent i400, most amazing beam quality.. but it was massive, weighed a ton and needed a huge diesel powered chiller to keep it cool...

Did another show with two Arctos DPSS Whitelights and two Spectra Physics Chroma 10's and you could really tell the difference.. Both amzing in their own right..

But the DPSS is so much less hassle, which is great for a lazy git like me