Thread: COOL PIC!!!

Default COOL PIC!!!

i started laying everything out for the RGB build. i happen to be taking some pretty rudimentary pictures (no optics have been aligned or even screwed down yet.)

and thought this pic was pretty cool to show the drastic difference in diode beams to DPSS beams-

obviously this is WAAAY outta wack. again, nothing has been aligned. i ust took some pics and this one caught my attention.

(if you wanna see more pics--- http://www.toadsplacedanceparty.com/html/rgbbuild.html )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RGB_BUILD_FEB1_08_1_037_1.jpg  

Talking

Heh, you're really starting to show symptoms now. Your significant other will be asking for the credit card soon, and if you don't have a significant other, it may be a smart investment to aquire one. Then you will have to start stashing money away. I call it shedon't money,as she don't know about it...

Some of the best pics are the odd ones where nothing is pointed perfectly. That is that fatty red isn't it? I have been thinking of one day adding some 635 after we all gather the courage to get a group buy going of the 635/660 dichros going, but i'd want to try an slim that beam down a little to keep more of it on the scanner mirrors. Your's looks like it will balance well with the others well.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Smile

Hey Mark;

*GREAT* pictures on your site! Love it! Say what you want about diffraction gratings being old-school; I'll always have a special place in my heart for diffraction grating effects. I love the "spray of beams" effect.

You've got a nice case there. Should make for a very easy layout. Are you going to mount your scanner amps and other power supplies on the roof? Also, I didn't see any scanners in any of the pictures. Are you waiting for them to arrive?

Adam

hola gentlemen-

"allthatwhichis"-

unfortunately, this isnt going to be MY RGB projector. i am building this for a customer of mine. (a nightclub in CT.) so, ill be really sad when i see my little boys grow up to be a big boy projector and leave my house for the "real world!!" lol...

the red is extremely fat. i thought it actually looked pretty good when i first got it and had it on by itself. uhhh...NO!! i was wrong! this thing has a fatter beam than my maglite.

the B and G are GORGEOUS!!! this is going to be a BITCH to align and merge beams on. the red is just too damn big. (any suggections??) not to mention, i still am pretty unsure on how to do the dichro alignment and everything. i have read alot of the tutorials here and it makes sense but also seems more like a "easier said thand one" type of practice...

adam-

the case is a certified projector from OSLS. (LT1000 or "yagermeister" as its better known! lol) i think i am gonna get lucky and have everything mounted on the bottom plate. doesnt seem like i will have any space constraints. worse comes to worse, i can mount a few things on the top plate. top and bottom are standard optics steel breadboards. i do have the 30Ks from aijii (dave) i just havent put them on here yet and wired them up. i think i am going to go to a machine shop and get a piece of aluminum cut as my new baseplate. NOTHING is measureing up to the pre-tapped holes in the LT1000 breadboard. which is REALLY annoying me also!
    (note to manufacturers- have options for standard or metric baseplates for your components for optics breadboards!!!! GRRRRR!!!!!)

and yeah, i like the gratings too!!! screw scanners. just take a bunch of gratings and shake them around REALLY REALLY REALLY fast in fornt of your lasers aperture! LOL.

-Marc

Hi..

Looks good.. I had the same questions re alignment .. The "good" document on this is Stanwax's article on alignment.

Its very simple if you follow his advice.

Not sure how you attach a pointer to his article but just do a search under "alignment" and look for Stanwax and you'll find it.
    This is his article on the subject. (hope it comes up OK)
    rgb alignment.pdf (91.9 KB, 105 views)

The only other comment I would make is to note that if trying to hit the sweet spot on the mirror (as opposed to just anywhere). Remember that the beam will "step over to the side" slightly for each dichro its passes through. (a mm or so each time)
    I had to shift my scanner slightly to stay right in the centre of the mirror

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

THANKS RAY!!!

i will take that into consideration and try to measure accordingly.

the tutorial by stanwax is superb. but i still have a feeling its going to be a "easier said than done..." thing to try and accomplish. but oh well, gotta pop my cherry sometime right!?!?

-Marc

Hi Marc

No, its as easy as Stanwax's article says it is... Its like Buffo's tuning article they should be "enshrined" . These articles are like gold to us newbies.

It would be great if we had a "library" category where articles of proven benefit can go. This would mean some senior person and I mean really 'Master" person should vet those for accuracy before they are posted as reference articles. .. Just a thought..

If you use Stanwax's article to get the left / right and up /down correct and just do it step by step .. its really is not hard.

I used thin aluminium shims for up down. Use a thick piece to get you into the zone if you get lucky it works in one step then just shim up as needed.

I had mine done in probably less than an hour (plus the stand in awe time of course) and have never done it before thanks to the articles and help on here.

Good luck

RAy

wow, Marc, greate pictures, nice grating effect.
    Best regards!
    Bridge