Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quick techie question

Quote Originally Posted by Insanity View Post
    Thanks for all the help there...

Thanks alot, that's what I love about this forum, you ask a question and never get ignored...

Cheers mate
    Mark
    Hey, no prob, like I said, you caught me when I was winding down for the night, and, I happen to love this forum for the same reason...

Buffo:Assuming you've wired a DB-25 connector on your projector to the ILDA standard, then all you need is a parallel cable (with a male DB-25 on one end and a female DB-25 on the other, and all lines wired straight through
    just to clarify, a standard ILDA cable would be male to male, connecting to female ends at the dac and projetor? this is the way I have come to understand it, and indeed the way I have cabled my rig (just bought three straight through 10 m db25 cables for 29,000 won (about $30 usd or 15 gbp (can't remember the ascii code for pounds or won).

I bought gender changers as well, but since I have an order in with whirwind for the exact thing, if its a male to female cable, I'd like to fix it so I can have the proper thing without needing a gender bender.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Adam:

I am wiring the DB25 connector in my projector. The last connector was badly soldered by me, so decided to go the IDC route as it is much neater and will give better connections than my poor soldering.

So will have a male input and a female output coming off it so I can tandem two projectors, each with inver switches on the back so I can use projectors in pairs.

I have about 60Mtrs of cabling that I got from Dave at lasershow parts... I am just being extra careful and checking that I don't connect scanners and lasers to the wrong pins on the DB25. Like I say, if I solder it myself I know where the cables go to on the connector, so I was just checking that the ribbon cable would be in the order of pin 1, pin 14, pin 2, pin 15 and so on....

Thanks for your help

Success!!!!

Thanks gents for your help and advice...

Here is the thing... I tried once and absolutely nothing on the continuity test, tried again and same result... Couldn't understand it, we used to bash them together with hammers at the old company I worked for, even seen it done using a beer can on the edge od the stage...

Finally worked out that the official IDC crimping tool does not clamp tight enough, stuck it in a vice and hey presto all working fine...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    just to clarify, a standard ILDA cable would be male to male, connecting to female ends at the dac and projetor.
    You are correct. Disregard that part of my post above where I was talking about a male/female cable. I don't know what I was thinking...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    You are correct. Disregard that part of my post above where I was talking about a male/female cable. I don't know what I was thinking...

Adam
    well, now I'm not so sure about that. I know there isn't an agreed upon standard, but I found this site: http://www.laserfx.com/Backstage.Las.../ISP-DB25.html

and that states that the projector should have a male connector, meaning that you would be correct with the male-female cable. Like I said, I'm confused as to what is correct, if there even is a "correct" option.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Hmm that's interesting...

I have always used male to female and the reason I am told it works that way is that you should never have voltages coming out of pins...

Although they are only small voltages I assume it is a standard practice inherited from higher voltage cables?

So where the voltage comes out there is no chance of anyone getting an electric shock by accidentally touching the pins..

I am not saying this is 100% correct, as you know my electrical knowledge is limited, but it's what I have always been taught..

Interesting subject...

Mark

If you have the male-pins at the "output" end of a cable, you have the risk of hitting something metal (truss-ends, etc.) causing a short-circuit and destroying your controller-output.

Cool

Well, if you look at most of the controllers on the market, they've got female DB-25 connectors for the ILDA output. Likewise, if you look at the ILDA ports on most commercially available projectors, they are ALSO female DB-25's. So to connect the two of them you'd need a double male cable. (And, in fact, those cables are pretty easy to find.)

However, since all I had were M/F cables at the house, I went ahead and wired my projector's ILDA port with a male DB-25. That may not be the standard, but it works with the cables I have. (That's why I got confused when posting earlier... I was remembering what *my* projector used.) But after doing some research earlier this morning, I realized that mine was actually backwards, and then I remembered why I wired my projector that way in the first place.

Still, a set of gender-changers will solve any incompatibility problem, and I happen to have just such a set, so I'm cool either way now.

Adam

I don't like male-male cables (or female-female cables). You can't just extend them with another cable.

I also have DB-25 male at my projector (for the easy extend reason).

Lightbulb

For future reference, most DB25 connectors have pins 1 and 25 labled on the connector itself.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin