Thread: short circuite??

Default short circuite??

I had my laser on fine earlier....now when I turn it on my reds are on full .......when I try to scan somthing it just scans really bad straight lines......what the hell?
    Pleas help...was supposed to be showing someone in 10 mins.

ARGH

Graham

I dont have an on/off switch...I just pull the plug...I guess thast not good , could that have any sort of bad effect on the power thast still in the lasers?

Cool

"Pull the plug"... Which plug, and to what? Are you talking about the power plug to the lasers (or even the whole projector), or the power to the FB3? Or are you talking about pulling the ILDA connector off?

Bottom line, you shouldn't yank the power cord out with everything on. It's best to stop scanning first, then turn a switch off to remove power to the projector, and THEN pull the power cord. But I still think it's unlikely that you've broken anything just by yanking the cord out.

Describe what you mean by "straight lines" Load up the ILDa test pattern and describe what the lines look like. Is it just one line, or a bunch of them? Are they spaced out, or are they sitting on top of one another? Are they vertical? Horizontal? On a diagonal? Do they have any jitter or fluctuation in them, either at the ends, or in the middle? (A picture would help.)

If it's a single vertical or horizontal line that just jitters a bit at the ends, then the most likely cause is that you've lost the signal input to one of the scanner amps. Check that first. Likewise, have a look at the power wiring to the amps. (If you loose power to an amp that will cause the same problem as loosing the signal; namely, the galvo will freeze in position, so you get just a line from the other galvo that is still moving.)

As for the loss of blanking on the red, it could be that you've lost the blanking lead that feeds your maxyz modules. Check to be sure you don't have a loose wire somewhere. (Do this with the power and the ILDA cable removed!)

You might have lost a ground connection somewhere as well. Especially if you were yanking really hard on the power input conenctor. Check those wires to be sure nothing has pulled loose. (Again, be sure power is compeltely disconnected and the ILDA cable is also disconnected before you start.)

Adam

Adam, it's fixed but I dont know what the problem was...

When I pull the plug I'm taking out the plug which goes into the wall...so the prohector isnt feeling any physical force.

I unhooked the ILDA connector and pluged that back in. unhooked FB3 form computer and Projector, plugged it all back in and after all that it seems fine again. Ive had somthing similar before where some of the wires on the solder side of the ILDA connector were slightly touching ( my bad soldering) and everything goes hay wire. It may have been that.

Alas the person left before I could show of my beams

I'm about to attempt to tune the scanners.....will post before and after pics.