Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breadboard size for RGB system

Very nice Bob.
    Why is the blue in it's own little garage out of interest?

Lightbulb

My box measures 18x12x8 and the top and bottom are breadboards. I use the top for power supplies and amps and bottom for some power and signal distribution and I have a dual layer 9x5 breadboard that I can remove that has the lasers on it. In the pics my galvo amps are on the top outside the projector. I was tuning them and it is almost impossible inside the box. Everything fits inside, it is just tight. I also have a 24 volt power supply for my g120s that is just attached up top and not doing anything. I'd like to incorporate the g120s and maybe a green up top, but I still need to get this beast legal first. I bought the enclosure off a fellow member, I think someone called it a laserboy clone... I saw a box very similar on One Stop's site. If I were building my own from the ground up, I would definatly go 18x18x12 at least... I haven't even decided on air flow in mine yet.

Default Blue DPSS Doghouse !

The Blue Lasever DPSS was mounted in this fashion per the suggestion of MechEng3 ( Mike). He noted that top clamping pressure / contact was suggested by Lasever vs. using the bottom plate slots. I do not recall why this was suggested....and although this method required fabrication....it does provide additional heat sink mass on the sides.
    The sides are solid bars/saddles of 5/8" aluminum....secured to the Optic level from underneath with 1/4-20 bolts. The top is 1/2" Lexan. I like the combination of Lexan and Aluminum....only for looks !! I realize that Aluminum would have been a superior heat sink atop.....but....since the Laser head has an additional TE/Heatsink/Fan cooling unit mounted directly underneath....I thought...screw it !!! This looks really good to me....and who sez you cannot have both form....and function !!!
    The Lasever head is a " snug fit " inside the holder....and since....the nearfield elevation height will be based upon the Blue DPSS....adjustabillity is NOT necessary for this head.
    And yes....this is all from scratch....albeit...a very " Long " scratch process. Like I said....I am really enjoying the build....and have been helped by many, many PL members.....Without their support....I would have made countless mistakes ($$$)....and it is thru this true knowledge sharring that I am where I now am !!!! Thank you all !!! It is this spirit which I think makes this place special and a gift !!!!!
    THANKS for your nice comments !!! That is very much appreciated !!!

Bob....CDBEAM !!!!!

ATWI.....wow....now that 10 lbs of "you know".....in a 5 lbs box !!! Very compact !!! I think the goal is universal....get it ALL in the smallest box !!! but yet make it so we can get at it....and " tinker "/ adjust....because....superimposition....is a never ending " Holy Grail " !!!!
    Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-28-2008 at 23:08. Reason: Add note to ATWI
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Thumbs up

I love your setups I'm currently in the process of buying some equipment myself (only single color at this time, I'll expand it to RGY and eventually RGB at a later time). I think I'll go for the cheapest solution, buying some sheets of aluminium instead of those overpriced breadboards (seems like it won't fit with everything anyway).

Default One size does NOT fit all !

Skai,

IMNotSHO.....I would not/ did not go with breadboards. I suppose...in a lab setting....where space is of NO real concern....then....they have value !! In some directions....like distance from Dichro....there is much flexibillity....in other aspects....like incidence angle to Dichro....angle/placement need be right on !!. Also....The labs use translation positioners !!! Who needs ALL that cost / weight !!! KISS !!!!
    Anyway....custom drill and tap is what I did and would do again....although....blind positioning can be a PITA....." measure 12 times...drill/tap once..." most times.....you get it right !! HAHA !!
    Good luck with your build !!! If you take long enough time....like I did...You WILL end up with a RGB....because it takes SOOO long....you have time enough to save for Blue DPSS !!!!

Bob / CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Cool

Bob;

Even if you measure 12 times, then drill and tap the hole, only to discover it's *STILL* in the wrong place, you're still OK. Just cut a slot in the mounting plate for the laser (or dichro mount, or whatever) and that will let you slide it a tad left or right so that it still lines up where it needs to be. Put a flat washer on top, then a lock washer, and then tighten the nut down good and snug, and it won't ever move.

Sure, you've got to be close with the positioning of your holes, but you don't need to be perfect this way.

Adam

Default Nuts 'n' Bolts...Transparent Aluminum ??

Adam...So far....I have not needed to go that way....but it is a very good alternative !!! My goal is to mainly have allen head bolts which attach all components...from the top...down. I prefer to have tapped holes to accept the bolts....so as to not need to fiddle with nuts on the underside of the plate !!! This requires exact placement of the tapped holes. Although many builders may see this as....mmmm...." anal " or who really cares !!! as long as things are down !!! I like it my way....and in reality....I have had great satisfaction in a S.....L.....O.....W....build process. I think my approach reflects the idea...that....a projector can look good....just sittin'there.....anyway....the extended build process has allowed me to save up for the Blue DPSS....and LD2000....and to learn from all the great posts on PL in the mean time !!!
    If it was available....I would cover this puppy with " Transparent Aluminum " HAHAHA ...so as to be able to see the works...as it happily pumps out coherent white swingin' beams !!!! I will likely have the top cover made from 1/4" Lexan plastic !!! Ego overload ??? Oh well !!! " SAY LA VEEE "

Bob / CDBEAM !!

You might want to apply a heatsink to the back of the scanner amps....could not see one in the pics. No fan needed....just something to let some thermal energy out of the amp chips. That is looking very sharp. Keep up the works. You will have a very nice projector there. Anal with the socket head screws also...I usually lay out all the components on a template of .024 aluminum,align everything, mark hole locations,then drill/tap the beam table. Works for me.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Quote Originally Posted by CDBEAM View Post
    My goal is to mainly have allen head bolts which attach all components...from the top...down. I prefer to have tapped holes to accept the bolts....so as to not need to fiddle with nuts on the underside of the plate !!! This requires exact placement of the tapped holes. Although many builders may see this as....mmmm...." anal " or who really cares !!!
    If it was available....I would cover this puppy with " Transparent Aluminum " HAHAHA ...so as to be able to see the works...as it happily pumps out coherent white swingin' beams !!!! I will likely have the top cover made from 1/4" Lexan plastic !!! Ego overload ??? Oh well !!! " SAY LA VEEE "

Bob / CDBEAM !!
    Quote Originally Posted by MechEng3 View Post
    You might want to apply a heatsink to the back of the scanner amps....could not see one in the pics. No fan needed....just something to let some thermal energy out of the amp chips. That is looking very sharp. Keep up the works. You will have a very nice projector there. Anal with the socket head screws also...I usually lay out all the components on a template of .024 aluminum,align everything, mark hole locations,then drill/tap the beam table. Works for me.
    I also have the NEED of consistency in my projector. I would love to use all allen head screws but currently I am using a combination of 4-40, 6-32, 8, 32 phillps head screws. Different screws for different purposes. All my holes are tapped too. In fact, about 2 weeks ago I realized the pain with breaking a tap off in the aluminum I've heard stories about it before, and now I have joined the club.

As far as the lexan top goes, have you seen SKB's projector?
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...3&postcount=26

Mike thats a good idea with using .024 aluminum. A bit more expensive than my route. Usually I use heavy weight paper. Which is good for getting the right pattern for the screw positions on power supplies. You can do the old use a pencil lightly on the top to show where there is material underneath it ... you know like with a quarter under a sheet of paper? Not sure how else to describe it.

You might want to look on eBay, there was a seller that for quite a while was selling a lot of 1/4" breadboards (12x18 or 12x12 if I recall correctly) that were drilled but not tapped on 5/8" centers. They were going for like 11 bucks a piece or so. Which is much cheaper than the aluminum would cost by itself. I went that route and I've used very few of the already drilled holes

-Max