Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breadboard size for RGB system

Default Breadboard size for RGB system

http://www.thorlabs.com/NewGroupPage...9&visNavID=808

Is 12"x12" big enough or it needs to be around 12"x18 or 12"x24?

Planning to mount on both sides if necessary.

Thanks.

Mine is 13" x 13" and I barely have room for everything to fit. If I weren't using the tiny die4drive modules and a single power supply for all 3 lasers there is no way it would all fit. If I used both sides I wouldn't have a problem, though.

Are you sure you want to use a breadboard and not a solid plate, though?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Mine is 13" x 13" and I barely have room for everything to fit. If I weren't using the tiny die4drive modules and a single power supply for all 3 lasers there is no way it would all fit. If I used both sides I wouldn't have a problem, though.

Are you sure you want to use a breadboard and not a solid plate, though?
    most of the stuff at SELEM was approaching 24" x 24" or bigger. I just tried shoohorning 1 maxys module, 2 small sized switching supplies , 1 galvo amp module and a 100 mW greenie onto 12x 18 and have wayy too much stuff hanging over the edges, My professional projector (6 position beam table + scanners ) is 60" by 18" x 18" , the ion laser mounts outside of it, and that can be tight. I do say go for the breadboard, tap on demand is nice until you want to make serious changes, and then your redoing and redrilling everything. If you do the undrilled plate, make a mockup in wood before you drill.

The only reason I want to go with a breadboard is to save myself some headache of having to drill and tap all the mounting holes, even though I do not want to spend the $ for the board - especially the bigger one.

I'm using a pre-drilled 12 x 24 I got from the fine folks at One Stop Laser Shop. It's supporting 2 CNI's and a dual Mazyz with drivers, ScanPro 30 scanners, 2 scanner amps, 2 dichros, 3 MM1 mirror mounts, a GM-20 actuator (shutter), a STP-8 actuator, and a Laser Visuals POLY-20 difraction wheel kit. The power supplies and supporting electronics will be on a separate shelf below the optics breadboard in a case I'm fabricating from common store-bought aluminum angle & aluminum sheet metal.

It took some work to get everything mounted, mainly because I wanted to use only the pre-drilled holes and not do any custom drilling in anything. I still have a little space left over, but I could have "scrunched" quite a bit more if I was willing to get out the drill bits and tap!

In any case, if you're willing to go with a "split-level" design and put electronics & power supplies on a separate "shelf", the 12 x 24 or possibly even 12 x 18 should be plenty.

RR
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I hear what you are saying about not wanting to drill and tap. But honestly, practically none of my components would have benefited from holes on a bread board because none of the holes in my amps, galvos, laser modules, power supplies, etc would have been the right size or lined up.

I see... I was about to place the order for the 12x24, but now I think I'll just go with a solid piece. Thanks.

Default Three Tier RGB

This is the first time I have tried to attach jpeg pics to a post....so....I hope I did it right !!!
    Here are two images of the projector I am building. Each level /tier is 12.5" by 14.5". Levels are constructed from 1/4" alum.plate. Upper and lower levels have additional 1/2" square alum.bar stock added to perimeter for l stiffness. Levels are connected by 3/8" SS althread.
    I went with this design as to achieve min. footprint and flexibillity to adjust levels for possible future modification.
    I guess you could say it is a " Post and Beam " type construct. I do plan on adding an outer skin as a final step.
    The upper level will be Laser heads, Dichros, scanner and possible a shutter. Middle level will be cooling fans, additional TE/Heatsink/Fan units,Laser drivers for blue and green DPSS, PS for blue DPSS, Scanner amp. boards, Scanner PS. and DAC. Lower level will be PS for MaXYZ red, PS for green DPSS, 12 VDC Switcher PS, DAC PS, Logysis temp monitor, TE temp controllers and general power distribution hook-ups.
    It has been a long build....and the work continues....but...I have had great fun building. I must thank MechEng3 for his many, many hours of help !!!!! He is a great teacher and I owe him BIG TIME !!! My design reflects his projector and I sincerely thank him. White coherent light...ASAP !!

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Three Tier RGB 2.JPG  

Three Tier RGB 1.JPG  

Last edited by CDBEAM; 01-29-2008 at 04:52.
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Thumbs up

Damn that is nice lookin there Bob! Is that all from scratch? I'll measure mine and post a couple of pics...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Bob,
    thats a very creative way to mount a lasever blue