Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DMX Control of Hazer Through LivePRO

Wow, Thanks Onge.

I'll take a look at those programs and see if I can understand them.

So, are you saying that I can use say, 6 sliders to control my LivePRO stuff and two sliders to control my hazer from within these other programs? Is it really possible to be using the BCF2000 within LivePRO *and* be able to control my hazer seperately?

If so, that's really cool

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Wow, Thanks Onge.

I'll take a look at those programs and see if I can understand them.

So, are you saying that I can use say, 6 sliders to control my LivePRO stuff and two sliders to control my hazer from within these other programs? Is it really possible to be using the BCF2000 within LivePRO *and* be able to control my hazer seperately?

If so, that's really cool

Jem
    Well Jem,

I do not have LivePRO but with AutoHotKey you should be able to control any program that can accept keyboard/mouse control (what programs do not allow that (I know there are service programs that run in the background that have no user intevention) !?!?!?) and with the Midi Translator you can convert midi from the BCF2000 to keypresses therefore triggering a response into AutoHotKey to do it's stuff with the program you want to control.

So if for example in LivePRO you used a keyboard shortcut of say "S" to launch a show. You could have you Midi controller send out a midi note either from one of the buttons or a slider which is captured by the midi translator and converte into an "S" keypress for LivePRO to run your show. If you needed to have more control you would then right a script in AutoHotKey to process the "S" keypress and perform muliple things, like ensure LivePRO has focus, move the mouse to correct part of the screen, simulate that you pressed the mouse button to run the show etc. etc.

How DMX is handled within LivePRO I do not know about so can't comment on that, but if it allows you to send DMX signals out then it should be able to control your Hazer to some extent. But reading back further in the posts it only allows off (zero) or full on (255) values for the DMX channels if I have understood that correctly. That might or might not be OK for your hazer.

All DMX fixtures need to be controlled by some sort of DMX controller and it sounds if LivePRO has some sort of DMX control, you would need a DMX cable to go from the controller to the Hazer and a terminator to ensure you do not get bounced signals along the DMX cable.

I am more than willing to try and help you (and others) with anything related to DMX, but as said cannot comment on the DMX support within LivePRO.

Onge
    Last edited by Onge; 12-06-2008 at 09:44. Reason: More info
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

Within LivePro it's not yet possible.. Either 0 or 255, and 255 is "prime" on his hazer so you don't want that!

You'll have to wait for the extended DMX functions or buy a DMX-controller.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    Within LivePro it's not yet possible.. Either 0 or 255, and 255 is "prime" on his hazer so you don't want that!

You'll have to wait for the extended DMX functions or buy a DMX-controller.
    Hi JeroenVDV,

I have just read the manual for the LOOK Soloutions Unique 2

http://www.looksolutions.com/index_e..._unique2_e.pdf

and there is no mention of a prime function, it just says that channel 1 controls the fog and channel 2 controls the fan.

Yes by using LivePRO it will mean it is either off or on, but that is not the same as a "PRIME" function.

The other option he can use is the built in timer function, that will allow you to output haze for a set period of time and quantity and then wait for so long and repeat again. This was how I controlled my JEM Magnum Hazer until I hooked it up to the dmx line. It took a bit of experimenting to get the output to the levele required for each venue, but once done, fire it up and forget it.

Onge

I usually leave the hazer on a fixed setting for fan/haze, but there are times when a little extra boost is needed or times when it's just getting a bit too much and I want to cut back a little. If i'm at the back of the venue, being able to control it remotely means not having to leave the control gear where i'm stood/sat.

I really need to be able to do this through LivePRO somehow as I want to be able to utilise the DMX facility in the QM2000.Net. By doing this I don't have to run any extra cables other than the CAT5 that is running to the QM2000

I guess i'll just have to wait for the next version of LivePRO and hope that DMX output has been improved.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though, i've learned a lot

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 12-06-2008 at 10:53.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Another thought, and possibly a simpler way...

Is there a *very* simple stand alone DMX controller that has just two sliders on it? This way I could bypass all the computery stuff and just control the hazer directly.

Jem
    Hi Jem,

I have not seen them that small but this is a 6 channel controller and is cheap priced, would suit your needs easily http://www.thomann.de/gb/stairville_...controller.htm.
    Don't forget the DMX cable and 5-pin DMX terminator, if you have trouble locating them in their store use the search function and put in "DMX Cable" or "DMX Terminator", remember you will also need a convertor from 3 pin to 5 pin (3-pin male to 5-pin female) either put this in the in on the hazer and use a 3-pin cable to run from the controller to the hazer or put it on the controller and use a 5-pin cable to the hazer.

5-pin cables/connectors is the true DMX512 standard and is used to protect against accidentally plugging in 3-pin (audio) XLR cables etc. 3-pin is used on so many DMX fixtures and causes no problems at all as only 3 lines of the cable are actaully used.

Thomann are very reputable I have dealt with them many times ordering lighting equipment running into thousands of pounds over their internet store and never hand any problems with them. Good support as well.
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

Hope that helps,

Onge
    Last edited by Onge; 12-06-2008 at 11:02. Reason: More info on DMX cables and terminators etc.

LivePro for QM2000 does actually have 2 variable (8bit or 16bit) DMX chanels - used for the moving head function - you could use these for driving a hazer
    The operation might be a bit clunky, because you'd need to control it using the moving head control grid in the live control panel, but you might be able to save as cues for different levels.
    There's also an EXE in the LD2000 folder called QMX24.exe that brings up a really simple set of sliders for outputting DMX through the QM2000 dmx output. It might work OK while LivePro is running for outputting DMX , but it can upset things if used to monitor DMX input. Bill has said that it was only ever intended as a diagnostic tool.

I think we're all waiting for better DMX implementation in LivePro.
    B.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzcub View Post
    There's also an EXE in the LD2000 folder called QMX24.exe that brings up a really simple set of sliders for outputting DMX through the QM2000 dmx output. It might work OK while LivePro is running for outputting DMX , but it can upset things if used to monitor DMX input. Bill has said that it was only ever intended as a diagnostic tool.
    B.
    Cool - thanks for posting!!
    That's going to be a GREAT way for previewing & setting up some DMX cues directly through the QM2000!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Default Yummmy

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Onge,

I was waiting for someone else to comment, so that I wouldn't have to post something that seems commercial in nature. But here goes...

Pangolin's LD2000 software suite, specifically Showtime:Live and LivePRO, can be controlled by DMX. The LD2000 software suite runs on a PC, so this combination offers maximum flexibility, but of course requires the cost and bulk of a PC plus the cost of the software/hardware itself. You can read about the LD2000 software suite here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/index.htm

A lower-cost option would be Pangolin's Flashback 3 laser controller, which can also be controlled by DMX. This is a small board which can be embedded directly into a laser projector, and offers a very capable DMX implementation (greatest number of DMX-controlled channels compared to any other small board in the industry). You can read about the Flashback 3 here:
    http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

On PL, there are many people who use both the LD2000 software suite and the FB3, so you can ask around for opinions regarding capability, price, and quality of the displayed output.

There are also probably others who have software and hardware systems which may be controlled by DMX. You will have to do some homework and see if Pangolin's system offers the right combination of price/performance/quality for you. We believe the answer is yes , but this is for each individual to decide for themselves...

Best regards,

William Benner
    President: Pangolin Laser Systems, Inc.

Sounds great but waiting on the Pangolin Mega Sale.... Because the australian Dollar sucks right now its like 62 cents to us ouch thats like $7000 for the software ouch....Let me know when its on sale...I realy love the dmx device
    anyone have any second hand Pangolin stuff

Quote Originally Posted by fuzcub View Post
    LivePro for QM2000 does actually have 2 variable (8bit or 16bit) DMX chanels - used for the moving head function - you could use these for driving a hazer
    The operation might be a bit clunky, because you'd need to control it using the moving head control grid in the live control panel, but you might be able to save as cues for different levels.

I think we're all waiting for better DMX implementation in LivePro.
    B.
    That's great info, thanks.

I had wondered about the moving head control but didn't know enough about DMX to know whether or not it would work. I'll have a go at putting a few cues together at different levels and see if I get anywhere. I'll also take a look at the QMX24.exe

Thanks again

Jem