Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DMX Control of Hazer Through LivePRO

Default DMX Control of Hazer Through LivePRO

Hi All

Firstly, let me say that i'm totally clueless when it comes to DMX. I have never used it and don't even know what it's capable of.

I have my first 'proper' commercial gig next week and I needed to hire a hazer. I've been searching for a local company who do hire at a reasonable price. Sadly I can't find one, and I don't fancy paying ~£100 + V.A.T. for a full weeks hire when I only need it for one night. Hopefully i'll eventually need a hazer on a regular basis, it therefore made more commercial sense in the long term to buy one rather than hire one.

So, I decided to take the plunge and buy a Look Solutions Unique 2 hazer, which all being well should arrive tommorrow. This hazer has full DMX control capability (whatever that means ). I also note that LivePRO has the ability to control equipment via DMX.

I guess it's now becoming clearer as to what i'm trying to acheive. Let's say I have my projector set up on stage with the hazer also on stage. Now assume i'm at the back of the venue with all the control gear (so I can watch the nice beams while i'm controlling them ). Is it possible using the QM2000.Net and LivePRO to control the hazers output / fan speed etc. via the DMX facility incorporated into LivePRO ? If this is possible can anyone offer up any advice as to how to go about it.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

you shouldn't need dmx for a hazer. Usually, just turn the hazer on a bit before the show and thats all you need to do
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Hi Jem,

What you want to do is really easy.

First, you will need to Enable DMX for output, in either LD2000 or Showtime. Once DMX is enabled for output, it is enabled for output for all programs.

Next, in the same dialog box where you enable DMX for Output, go to the far-right tab, to access virtual TTL and AUX output. Enable TTLs for DMX channels 1-8 (for example).

Next, in LivePRO, any time you access TTL 1-8, it will cause DMX channels 1-8 to output "255" if you have the TTL output set, or "0" if you have the TTL output cleared.

So then you assign your fog machine to DMX channel 1 and there you have it. You can either access the TTL "real time" any time you want, or assign it to a cue and go that way.

If you poke around with my steps above, I am sure you will figure it out. It's a lot easier to do than it is to describe in words...

Best regards,

William Benner

Jem you might want to rethink that hazer before you use it.

That is a water based hazer, like a fog machine. These will EAT fluid like crazy. I sold one to a client (against my better judgment) because he didn't want to get a oil based hazer. In three months he had spent more on fluid than if he had just bought a decant hazer. In the end he he bought a good hazer and and a gallon would last at least a month and a half.

Look for a DF-50 or a MDG Atmosphere, You might be able to find one used.

Just a quick fyi

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Bill

Thanks for the info, i'll get to work on it right away

Chad

I appreciate what you're saying. However there are a few things that I had to consider when buying a hazer.

Firstly Oil 'crackers' such as the DF 50 and MDG Atmosphere. I acknowledge that these are the best for producing a nice fine haze with a long hang time. I believe the particle size is ~1micron, it therefore has the ability to hang in the air for (I believe) up to 4 hours. I have heard that there are health issues being considered regarding these hazers as 1 micron is able to cause lung problems., the last thing I want is to spend a fortune only to be told I can't use it by either the HSE or the venue. Besides there is the residue issue to consider. BUT the overall thing is the cost , they are triple the price of a high quality glycol machine!

Next Glycol machines. O.K., so they don't have quite the same hang time as the particle size is ~20micron, but used correctly they still produce the desired effect and although residue is still possible it shouldn't be an issue.

The Unique 2 hazer has a fluid usage of ~1litre per 25 hours of use in an average setting. These newer machines have come a long way from the old days when they used to slurp fluid at an alarming rate. For the amount of use it'll get I'm quite happy with my decision (for the time being ).

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Next, in LivePRO, any time you access TTL 1-8, it will cause DMX channels 1-8 to output "255" if you have the TTL output set, or "0" if you have the TTL output cleared.
    This method will for sure make problems with several hazers.. They'll use the "prime" function when the fog-channel reaches the 255 (full pumping, big output, to suck fluid into the pipes when it has run out of fluid).

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    This method will for sure make problems with several hazers.. They'll use the "prime" function when the fog-channel reaches the 255 (full pumping, big output, to suck fluid into the pipes when it has run out of fluid).

The hazer has arrived today. I don't think what you refer to will be a problem with this hazer. However, I could be talking out of my erm... Bottom

This link is to the download page on Look Solutions website. Here you can download the manual for the Unique 2 Hazer. Would you mind taking a look at the DMX section for me and let me know if it's an issue?

http://www.looksolutions.com/index_e....php?Downloads

Many thanks

Jem

No problem with your hazer - just set it at start address 001 and you'll be able to switch on/off haze with TTL1 and fan with TTL2. However, no output level control available (just full on, or off).

You'll get problems with the Jem 24/7 hazer (well, double problems).
    - 255 at the haze-channel does nothing (20-220 = haze level control,
    221-230 = prime function, 231-255 is nothing).
    - 255 at the fan-channel switches off the fan, the pump and the heater

Pangolin should stick to laser-controllers, lighting controller companies should stick to lighting control, please don't try to do something you're not into.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Cheers

Jem

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    Pangolin should stick to laser-controllers, lighting controller companies should stick to lighting control, please don't try to do something you're not into.
    That was uncalled for, Jeronen. Stop being an ass. Read Jem's original question:
    Is it possible using the QM2000.Net and LivePRO to control the hazers output / fan speed etc. via the DMX facility incorporated into LivePRO ?
    The bulk of Bill's answer dealt with the settings in Live Pro to enable the DMX output. Your comments about a specific subset of hazers that won't work with the DMX output set to 255 were nice to know, in the event that someone had one of those hazers. But your patronizing comments to Bill above are completely out of line.

First, your concern about the hazer Jem had was unfounded. Bill's answer was actually *correct* for the hazer Jem has. (It doesn't have a priming function, so 255 is the correct setting.) So you're blasting away about something that isn't even relevent to Jem's particular situation. (And if you had bothered to do a little research on his particular model before you posted, you would have known that.)

Second, while the information you provided about *SOME* other hazers having different DMX control schemes was certainly nice to know, and certainly something that folks should keep in mind, that in no way justifies your condescending remarks about how people should stay out of things they're not into. You have *no* way of knowing what Bill is into. I'll wager you've never even met the man, much less have any idea of his experience with stage and lighting effects.

Furthermore, since he was right to begin with, and your concerns were totally unfounded, I'd say that it's *YOU* who should stay out of things you're not into. (Or at least do some research to be certain that your words of caution are actually applicable to the case in question before you go off on another tirade.) You certainly didn't offer any advice about how to enable DMX output in Live Pro, which is what the original question was all about...

Adam