Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my laser and galvo problem

Default my laser and galvo problem

Hi
    For a while I have been having problems with my cr laser super 1. its as if one of the galvos stick in the wrong position. sometimes the y galvo will project into the laser, other times it projects, just onto the floor!!!

At fist I thought it was the loom, between the galvo and the driver boards, but I have since replaced it. Normally it happens after the sound guy tests his large subs, but tonight the ilda test pattern caused it.

After a little mucking around it corrects itself (tonight I shifted the image up and down to rectify it)

Any Ideas? as it is laser number 4 in six months, 2 have had this problem!!!!

Thanks
    Martyn

Question

Can you open it up and take some pics of the insides? Just a thought that might help the wiser members here help.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

picture mad you lot lol lol lol

the galvos are the same as the super 7 I posted earlier, just single colour

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3790

maybe if you pop the lid and enough of us stand round it on Sunday scratching our heads we will work it out. Are you bringing it to the meet?

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

lets not talk about the meet please, very sore subject!!

well ok, don`t laugh I read the address and only got as far as the Leicester square bit, not bad only an hours drive I thought ................ until last week when I realized it was Leicester square in Leicester!!!!!!!

so no sorry cant make it, (and no ribbing please, no doubt I will get that from a few of the portsmouth boys once they read the post)

Smile

Noiseboy;

Oh, come on... It's only 165 miles from Portsmouth to Leicester. Google Maps says it's just under a 3 hour drive. That's not bad at all. (I'm driving 7 hours to get to FLEM Mark II in Orlando, and poor Pitts is flying some 7000 miles to make it to the event!)

Hell, I drive up to Charlotte, NC all the time. In fact, I drive up and back the same day. (There's an amusement park up there that my kids used to love to go to.) Plus I've got a couple friends that live near Charlotte. It's exactly 3 hours from my house to Charlotte.

Shoot, a 3 hour drive is nothing dude. Considering how many people are going to be at the UKLEM this time around, and how much equipment will be there, you'd be doing yourself a serious disservice if you didn't attend.

Trust me pal, you need to go! Pack up your lasers, start early in the morning, and make a road trip out of it. You won't be dissapointed!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand... I can't see the scanners in any of the pictures you posted. However, I do know that several Chinese scanners have a built-in thermal overload that will cut the scanner amp off if it is being pushed too hard. Sometimes, however, these overloads get weak. When that happens, the amp will cut off any time you display a pattern that is moderately complex. (Like the ILDA test pattern, for example.) Usually if you power down and back up, they reset automatically.

Post a close-up picture of one of your scanner amps and we should be able to identify the overload device, if you have one. Also, an easy way to test it is to reduce your scan angle by half. If the problem goes away, then it's likely that you *do* have one of these overload devices, and it's getting weak and needs to be replaced.

DZ and I have both experienced this problem with our DT-40 scanner amps.

Adam

The problem reared its ugly head today. the laser is shinning back on itself.

The laser should be shinning out the appature

The board in the picture is the one for the y galvo (I think its that one thats duff)

I think its dead now. definately no scanning on the y and the board is running warmer than the x
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0627.JPG  

DSCF0628.JPG  

DSCF0632.JPG  

DSCF0636.JPG  

Last edited by noiseboy; 02-01-2008 at 12:42. Reason: new photo thats infocus

ok not dead. I powered down and gently moved the y mirror by hand. powered back up and its working. This fault is driving me mad, and its the second one of these I`ve had with the same fault.

Any Ideas???

Cool

Can you take another picture of the driver board? Maybe set your camera to Macro mode so it's more in focus? I think I see what looks like one of those auto-reset overloads that I was talking about in the second half of my post above, but it's hard to tell because the shot is so blurry. If it is indeed one of the overload units I was talking about, there's an easy way to check it to see if that's the problem.

Adam

Lightbulb

They look a lot like the scanco 20s, but different mirrors. Amps and all look close. That is my unprofessional opinion though.