Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Some Advice??

Much much better!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

THANKS!! i SUCK at writing letters.

There are 10 steps how to deal with those people written by Ellison Harlan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_Ellison)I forget the name of this short story but idea is that first 3 steps are very mild. And then it goes up from there. This story is about how to deal with a bad book publisher. Very funny story. Actually many his non fictional books are funny and pissed off very much like George Carlin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Carlin).

Ellison Harlan? lmfao!

Your second letter is great, you express concern, illustrate the consequences of his actions, and offer to help in any way that you can. I would be interested to see what his response is. I'm not familiar with CDRH standards and practices, but would the night club owners be potentially liable? if so, I feel that it would be prudent to let them know as well. Not to try and shank the kid, but I'm betting he won't want to shelve his projector now that he's got one, and i'm wondering how compliant it will be.
    Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 02-07-2008 at 19:50.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

thanks mr coffee-

as far as i know (more seasoned pros may correct me...) if the venue sub contracts a DJ (or lighting guy) and THAT DJ provded their OWN laser system i THINK the venue may be off the hook. they can just play dumb and say, "well i dont know the laws...the dj had a laser, and turned it on. How am i supposed to know its illegal?" its obviously a little different than pyrotechnics where EVERYONE knows that you cant have BOOM BOOMS indoors without SERIOUS approval and licenisgn and inspections.

if this projector is indeed from a "foreign manufactuer" it is going to be pretty hard for it to get approved here in the USA. ESPECIALLY if its one of the cheapos! and i HONESTLY do not want to make the kid shelf his unit or something. but, i need to follow the laws...you need to follow the laws...buffo needs to follow the laws...dream beamz needs to follow the laws...THIS KID should have to follow the laws. ESPECIALLY, like i said before, he is WELL aware of the fact that lasers are dangerous and regulated in the USA.

i feel better with this toned down letter. he very well may just turn around and say, SHIT dude...youre right. can you help me figure all this out?! (which im hoping for). and if i see a VALID and legitimate effort i will never bring it up to him again. ESPECIALLY if he performs decent and safe shows. (although that will be hard cuz you can tell this was just some DMX or sound active laser on auto pilot). if he turns out to attempt to be a tough guy or a dingleberry and run his mouth or disregard what i feel to be a to the point, respectful letter- then i will act accordingly.

i think everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt to a point. if he blows the warning off...ITS ON!!!!!

-Marc

i think he spent more than 1500 on that and i think its more than a 1/2 watt. also, no ir filters if you know what to look for you can see it in the video. kinda like little squiglys going through the image. either way marc, take it from experience, he is not going to respond well.

Cool

Good replies in this thread, so I won't repeat what's already been said. But I would like to interject one thought that I believe is important: Marc, when you confront this guy, make sure you don't *ever* raise the issue of "I paid a lot of money to be legal; I won't stand for you under-cutting me." That confuses the issue and weakens your position. It's not about money, it's about safety. If you start complaining about his low-ball prices, your entire arguement becomes sour grapes.

Likewise, don't ding him on his equipment. (Don't call it "chinese garbage".) Mention to him that it needs an accession number, and ask about IR filters if you want, but don't insult his equipment. It will only distract him from the safety issue and give him a reason to turn on you. (I'm not saying that his equipment is great, mind you. Personally, I agree that it probably is a cheap-ass projector. But that's not the issue at hand.)

If you stick with the safety aspect alone, then you're completely in the clear if the CDRH ever gets involved. You want to claim the high ground in this one. If it comes out that you were also complaining about prices, or about his cheap equipment, that gives him ammunition to use against you when he presents his rebuttal to the CDRH.

Now, if the guy does reply to your letter with an "Oh shit - you're right dude... How can I fix this?", then you're all set. Help him out as much as you feel comfortable doing, and while you've got him in your confidence you can mention that the going price for a laser show is normally a lot more than $200, because of all the hoops you have to jump through. I think he'll be a lot more receptive to the idea then.

On the other hand, if he responds to your letter with a "keep you nose out of my business" attitude, then you can report him. But like George said - it won't be pretty. Still, if he's doing things that are reckless, he ought to be stopped. (I can't view the video at work, but judging by the comments above it was pretty bad.)

Adam

i appreciate all your responses! thats why i wanted advice here in the first place! (george, your PM was received and i agree!)

I am going to hold off on the letter. what i think i am going to do is find out when his next gig is at this club. (i believe it is a weekly party there that he DJ's). and i will get there early and take him aside and talk to him. maybe help him aim and bring him the safety checklist which i use at my shows (of course half he wont be able to use becasue the projector is just in music auto mode!)

youre absolutely right about not putting his projector down. thats automatically gonna put him in a defensive mode. and adam this absolutely is more about safety. HOWEVER- i do want to make it a point for him to know that it aint cool to go out there undercutting LEGIT companies to put on a cheap unplanned or unsafe show for a quick extra few bucks!

i appreciate all of your guys input!
    -Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post

(I can't view the video at work, but judging by the comments above it was pretty bad.)

Adam
    Just picture your typical dj setup, with the truss bar above the dj, about 8-10 feet off the ground with the lights playing over and on the audience. now picture a laser projector being used like a normal dj style light.

Likewise, don't ding him on his equipment. (Don't call it "chinese garbage".) Mention to him that it needs an accession number, and ask about IR filters if you want, but don't insult his equipment. It will only distract him from the safety issue and give him a reason to turn on you. (I'm not saying that his equipment is great, mind you. Personally, I agree that it probably is a cheap-ass projector. But that's not the issue at hand.)
    I semi-agree with this, I wouldn't call his projector crap outright, but I'd bring one that was made with quality components, and had ILDA standard stuff like shutters and interlocks to Illustrate the difference.

it occurs to me that if this is done properly, we could bring this kid "into the fold" so to speak. I, for one, would much rather have another member here, and somebody who is devoted to the hobby/profession as a whole, than some pissed off dj who thinks professional laser companies are crooks.
    Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 02-08-2008 at 20:10. Reason: afterthoughts
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    ok, heres the deal...

im ALL for healthy competition and being a laser light show company in Connecticut is proving to be both a positive thing and a negative thing-
    im in a little perdicoment. a little DJ guy i know has decided to purchase what seems to be a FAIRLY high powered "chinese" RGB Laser system.
    -Marc
    RGB more like RG. I'ven't seen blue at all.