Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C-mount laser diode Blue dpss laser

Default C-mount laser diode Blue dpss laser

Hi guy`s

Can anyone identify this type of C-mount laser diode ?

I need to know exactly what kind it is e.t.c

The number on it is 103660

The diode belongs to a 473nm laser & i need to find a suitable replacement.

I have also included a picture of the diode & the laser head in case any of you can identify the diode or laser head

Cheers Ritchie
    Last edited by starlogic; 03-23-2008 at 12:38.

i know this is a little offtopic iv seen diagrams of dpss blues but that looks unreal comlicated in there i count 5 crystals of wich i think one is just a lens

Ritchie

All you need to replace it with is another C-mount 808 diode with a microlens. You can see the blobs of adhesive either side of the chip which hold this in place. Its likeley a 2W diode - I bought some c-mounts from an ebay seller in china before xmas and I used one to repair my CNI blue. you can see his auctions here - http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQdfspZ1...QsassZsnoctony - non for sale at the moment but maybe drop him a message will be worth a go...he sells 1W & 2W c-mounts at the least.
    Have you any idea what the diode current was set to before it died? and what sort of power were you getting. If the diode current was below 1.2A (which I doubt) its possibly - not certainly - a 1W if its below 2.5-2.8A its probably 2W

Finally its unlikely you will be able to just pop the diode in to fix it. You may be lucky and get blue straight away but I will be amazed if you do not have to realign everything to get a decent output. I had to methodically go through and realign each part to get blue then spend time tweaking it all. Up shot is I got a better laser than I had before! It seems more stable + is higher consistent output And Im only running the diode at 2A with a ceiling of 2.8A so the pump should last a long time.

Hope it helps

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

And for you Tom here is a copy of the image - which is not the best in the world - with all the internals marked up. It looks like its only got a single TEC. Some have 2 some 3.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluedpsslabels.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Default C-mount laser diode

Hi Rob

I am not sure if the diode has a microlens fitted to it.

I have seen pictures of microlensed diodes & they seem to have a thin lens on the front of the diode.

But i cant see one on this diode.

One blob of glue seems to hold the silver plate that the diode is on & the other blob holds the copper wire .

If the diode isnt a microlensed diode & i replaced it with a microlensed diode would i have any chance of getting the laser to work .

Or must it be replaced with a like for like diode.

Current wise the power supply can deliver upto 6 amps
    And with the `current` potentiometer turned down about 500 ma

Ritchie

Ritchie

From the pic it looks like a microlensed diode but its tough to say - no disrespect but the pic is not very clear - but you can see it for real so can tell better. I know of no other reason for blobs of adhesive on the mount like that - are there any traces of the rod in the glue - has it been broken from infront of the diode - they are very fragile. If the original does not have one and you use a diode with one its probable that you would just get a better beam . The lens, as Im sure you know, makes the output of the laser more round than the unlensed oblong profile you normally get. A microlensed beam going through the pump focus lens will give you a smaller spot in the vandate which in theory will give you a better effeciency of ir to blue - which is good!

As for current I mean the actual diode current that it was drawing - not what the power pack is capable of. If you dont know its not the end of the world it just would help to get a barometer of what power your dead pump is rated at. Is it deffo dead btw?

Rob

A couple of pictures i found on the internet.

The laser pictures are of a green 532 but the laser is indentical to the blue head i have.

Just in case any one can recognise the model or manufacturer.

Ritchie
    Last edited by starlogic; 03-23-2008 at 12:38.

I know its sometimes nice to know but I would not worry too much about who made it - it will not make a difference to the type of pump diode you need - they will all use ir @808nm.
    do you know how much blue it was outputting out or what it was supposed to have been rated at?
    Has it worked while in your possession?
    If so what happened for it do die.

Rob

Hi Rob

I am pretty sure that the lens has not parted company with the diode.

But you have improved my confidence with the daunting choice of C-mounts availible.

I will buy some c-mounts with microlenses .

When the chineese new year is over.

Prior to your reply i was unsure whether to buy a microlensed diode or not.

I could post the diode to you if you wanted to have a proper look at it as i dont have a camera good enough to take decent pictures of the diode.

And yes the diode is very much dead so i have no idea what current it was drawing.

The laser when it worked was outputting just under 100mw

so i reckon with the diode must have been around 1.5 watt

Ritchie

OK cool 100mW is good
    If you get a 1W im sure you will get blue but the current set point on the driver may be to high and the thing may go pop - do you know how to adjust the current ? If you get a 2W with ulens then you should easy get your 100mW (if not more when cavity is aligned) but you can operate the diode without pushing it hard and it will last a long time.

I would take a look at the diode if you want though if its dead there would be little to gain

Its crude, but you could, if you have one, take a multimeter ste for amps and put it where the diode was. Then run the driver and see what the reading is on the meter. Its good to know this when fitting a new diode anyway as you will be best to turn it right down and measure the current as you increase it. Then you know where you are working.

Rob