Thread: USB 1.0 - CAT5 extender

Default USB 1.0 - CAT5 extender

Hi All

I was hoping I would have had this item in time for the UK meet but the company I bought it from seems to be a complete bunch of twits. Here is the Item on thier site. http://www.itm-components.co.uk/LAN-0101.html
    I ordered on Thursday 31st Jan and chased them up on Tue 5th Feb as I had heard nothing appart from an order confirming email - I was told it would be in the post that day - theres a coincidence - and I would have it on Wed. It didnt arrive on wed but Thurs when I was out so I had to visit the PO to collect it today. Not only did it take time but the invoice inside the pack stated and ammount of £1480.80 - and was for a company in Holland who had bought 2 touch screens! When I rang to get a real invoice I was told 'this happens all the time'.
    SO - I think TLM are a bunch of twerps but what you really wanna know is does it work? Simply yes. I have conected it up to my easylase and it works a treat with nothing to install or configure, though I have only tested it on a short CAT 5 lead for the moment. I will test on a long lead over the weekend and get back to you all - its supposed to be good for 198ft of CAT 5. I am skeptical but to be honest I will be happy if it works for 100ft.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

It should work.
    I used an extender from "Lindy" and it worked with 100ft CAT5-cable without any problems.

Joachim
    Producer of EasyLase USB and NetLase
    Lasershow software DYNAMICS

I tested last night with about 30 feet of CAT5 and it works a treat

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Rob

I looked at these with a view to getting one a while ago... Then the QM2000.Net came along

I've heard they're extremely good. It certainly solves the problem of getting long USB cables.

BTW, i've just bought some Cat5 splitter boxes so should be able to run the emergency stop over the Cat5 shortly

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001