Thread: Misuse of Pangolin's name

Default Misuse of Pangolin's name

I was surfing ebay, when I got into this seller's offers:

http://stores.ebay.com/USA-Legal-Laser

He is using Pangolin's name to advertise stuffs that are miles far from Pangolin's quality and reputation.
    I just wonder what Bill thinks about.

Last edited by Pitopito; 02-10-2008 at 03:49. Reason: typo

hi pito

this guy is just using the pangolin name in his main description to increase his hits when someone searches.... he does not mention pangolin in the main auction artical, i dont know what Bill could do... but guessing very little... as he is not saying his software is pangolin or better than pangolin and he is not libeling pangolin ..... but looking at it their software it looks like something that i used to write in "Dos basic" so im guessing its a million miles away from pangolin

but i do find it ironic that he they have copyright and reg trade mark notices at the bottom of the auction

all the best ... Karl

Maybe they throw in a picture of a real pangolin with the software.

Hehehehe, at least this seller knows who rulez

All the best

Luciano

Looking at the guys home page, it looks like he is selling pangolin products as well.

Steen

Pang name as well as DMX ILDA RGB LASER are used to get more hits to his page. Nothing you can do cuz Pang now is one of those terms along with RGB and DMX.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

jezz, and ebay canceled my auction for keyword spamming for the phrase, "argon part, Not DPSS"

steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    jezz, and ebay canceled my auction for keyword spamming for the phrase, "argon part, Not DPSS"

steve
    I keyword spam all the time and havent been canceled yet- It makes sam real mad especially when i use WOW & L@@K! I dont do it to be mean i do it to use every word I can.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the heads-up.

Yes, this is Technological Artizans in New York. They have sold Pangolin software for a long time, along with their own software and hardware.

Clearly they are using the Pangolin name as a key-word to improve their search terms. But this technique cuts both ways. On one hand, it could guide someone to their auction that might not otherwise find it. On the other -- if someone is smart enough to look for a Pangolin system by name, and they come across something that is not Pangolin, it could potentially turn the buyer off, and make the selling company look non-credible. I know that's how I feel myself when I come across this practice. I saw something similar recently while searching for test equipment made by Stanford Research. A company was selling a function generator that was not made by Stanford, nor did it have the quality. Sorry, not interested... If I know I am looking for Stanford gear, then I am looking for Stanford gear...

Honestly I am amazed they still sell Merlin because, as far as I know, it is basically old DOS software. But I recently had a phone call from someone in the New York area who still uses it. Another surprising thing to me is the price. It's pretty close to the street price of LD2000 Intro, but LD2000 Intro would be far more capable.

It just goes to show you, if you have something to sell, you can find some people to buy it, no matter what...

Best regards,

William Benner