Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: SP168 in hospital - moved thread

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    I will pay a fair price for what is a hobby laser - not £750+17.5%!!! If I can't get I will make.

The exciter connector is in good condition with a little cleaning will be good to go, the only burning is between the slices of the umbilical connector due to the water ingress. There may be a fault in the 265 but I will do some electrical tests to confirm this is ok before I repair the amphenol and power it up.

Rob
    FYI rob, the connector on the power supply is basically the same design and can experience the between the biscuit arcing problem and that one is a real pain to repair. If you get a 168 umbilicle it is an easy install. If you get a 164 or 165 it is a bigger PITA.

Exclamation

Hey Rob -

Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    I will pay a fair price for what is a hobby laser - not £750+17.5%!!! If I can't get I will make.

The exciter connector is in good condition with a little cleaning will be good to go, the only burning is between the slices of the umbilical connector due to the water ingress. There may be a fault in the 265 but I will do some electrical tests to confirm this is ok before I repair the amphenol and power it up.
    I am sure there are others, here, as well, but if it helps, I have an extra-extra (but working) 265 supply, just sitting here taking up space, that would be no problem to 'parts-out' for you - I'd sell the exciter-side (don't have an umbilical side I can 'sell') for something like $150. + shipping to your side of the pond... I DO have a resource for the umbilical side, but he won't sell them to me for less than $400. each side - but even that sure beats £750+17.5%, crikey!! ...also, sounds like Brian from Cambridge is willing to sell the inserts reasonably (Pat said he said '~$200.-ish'? - that's a good price!)

BUT, thing is, I'd need to know TOMORROW (2/14) if you need it sent right away, cause I leave the US on Fri for Ecuador for 2 weeks...

Also have plenty of other 'spares' for the 265s - those 'rare' little CP-fuses, a few hard-to-find SCRs, CP breaker, proteus wheel / card, etc, etc... lemme know ASAP if this will help - if not, no sweat...

cheers!...

- J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Pat

Steve has been in touch and is on the case - hopefully some money will transfer across the pond shortly

Thanks to Steve for the offer.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Did you get this biscuit problem sorted Rob?

If not - could you not get the damaged carbonised parts lightly dry bead blasted to remove all the carbon and then work from there?

Also I noticed that you have yellow crimp connectors in some of the head shots back in the thread. Being an ex-auto electrician of 7 years experience I would strongly recommend silver soldering those to the cable as well as them just being crimped to it. This is because at temperature, be it from the surrounding environment they are located in OR current loading (yellows are good to around 30A and no more to be reliable) causing temperature rise, they can very quickly weaken and become loose on the cable causing further heating and finally burn up.
    Seen it many a time on various vehicles in the past.
    Silver solder them instead of standard 60/40 solder as again the operating temps will be too high.

Just a thought :0)

Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

Jim
    Im awaiting parts from USA so hopefully next chapter will begin soooon. As for the connectors yeah they are just crimped though the only time I have had trouble with them getting warm was at UKLEM Mk1 as it ran for a good few hours and the Xformer was getting warm. Now the Xformer has some forced cooling Im hoping it will help but I will probably solder tham - I normally solder crimps cos I dont trust them but these have been trouble free so I have left alone - for now

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk