Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laservisuals Safety course this coming Monday 18thFeb

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Cheers for the info Jim.

Although I don't see myself doing professional shows anytime soon, it's always handy to have some qualification behind you to cover your ass as I like to do a laser display at family barbies etc.

As I intend to get biggger and better equipment (as I'm sure we all do) the fact that safety has been taken into account must surely count as a big plus if/when I reach out a little further (like Jem is doing).

Would you consider the course good value for those of us who are looking at laser use for 95% of the time in a personal capacity as opposed to those who are seriously looking at it as a way of displaying to the public on a paying basis?

After all, a couple of hundred quid could go some way to a shniy new toy if you are only gonna be doing displays for yourself (and the laser meets of course).
    Sorry Richard, missed this post earlier.

I think that the LV course is excellent value for money. It will give you a much better understanding of the whole laser safety issue. Yes, it costs £250ish, but compared to some professional courses that isn't really that bad. The other thing is that once you've done the course James is on hand to advise you on any particular safety issues that you may come across. This alone makes it worth the cost as I shudder to think what it would have cost me in consultancy fees otherwise

I appreciate that it IS difficult when trying to balance the cost against a nice new toy, but I have to say i'm far more confident about going out and doing public shows. Also, when dealing with the local council's Health & Safety department it always helps if you know what you're talking about and can sound knowledgeable (even if you haven't really got a clue ), the last Council I dealt with was MOST impressed that I had a 'qualification' in laser safety, he was even more impressed when I sent a copy of the training certificate along with my Safety policy. Subsequently, I have made a very good impression with that particular Council, so much so that in future I only have to send a simple email to inform them where i'm doing a show. He's satisfied that everything will be in order because of the way i've initially presented myself.

Finally, I work in Optics and have always considered eyes to be quite useful. I guess i'm just a bit paranoid when it comes to the safety of the great publics peepers

Sorry for rambling on a bit, but just my twopenneth.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I have to agree with Jem on all that he wrote on the matter.

I doesn't really matter who you are displaying for, eye's are eye's and eye's can easily be damaged whether they belong to any member of the public or your dear old granny's mum's mum

There is a lot to any matters of H&S be it to do with lasers or lifting something up off of the floor, I am a H&S representative where I work and it is an absolute mine field.
    Unfortunately we are rather following foreign overseas traits of victims suing at any opportunity they can and to be trained in the safe art of laser handling has not only got to be safer for the people you are displaying too but safer for your pocket as well.

It sounds expensive but what price do you put on an eye

Personally I would recommend it to anyone who dabbles with > class 3b lasers.

Jim
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

I wonder whether James at LV would do us a group discount if a few of us wanted to go on the course!

Jim

interested .
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    I wonder whether James at LV would do us a group discount if a few of us wanted to go on the course!
    That sounds tasty.

I'm in the process of finalising a purchase of some Pangolin Gear from Laservisuals and saw a mention of the laser safety course which has piqued my interest in this aspect of laser owning.
    A discount for PL members (and possibly even a dedicated day just for us) would be a nice touch.
    Hell, we could bring our gear and make it a mini-meet!

Maybe if we got an idea of how many peeps would be interested then that may allow James to sketch out some discount figures.

Mark me down for interested party No. 1. and (presumably) Andy_con for No. 2 and Jimbo for No. 3

I wonder how many attended the course that Smog & Jem went on ......

Jem did the course last years as well as Rob (Stanwax) and someone else I think?

I did it with Greeen from this forum (who attended the 2008 UKLEM), a chap that does all the lighting for Robotwars and another chap that name escapes me at the moment (it's early )
    4 of us in total.
    --------------------
    My Brain urt's!

Continuously in Awe! of (H)Al, the Photonlexicon Font of Complete Knowledge - The (H)Al'PL Database of complete puss that no one needs to know or ever trusts as he ain't really got a Scooby doo about now't!

If i could make the day I'd be interested too
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post

Jim
    Move toward the light!

Simon (red baron) P1tbull attended at the same time as Jem & me as well as Andy (aclasers here) and 2 others - there should have been one more on the day but car trouble preventetd his attendance.

Its well worth it if you plan to do pro or not - the nature of the understanding you are given is seccond to none. The course will not tell you anything you cant get elsewhere (hmmmm maybe thats not 100% true but...) but James tells you concisely what you do need to know and explains is a clear down to earth way. Well worth the full price.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

i need to look into ding this if i want to start doing a few shows
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Looks like Monday 16th June (2008) is the next day for their Laser Safety Course