Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamba Measurement

Default Lamba Measurement

Hey all,

I'd like your opinions about this product...
    http://www.verityinst.com/SD1024D.html

It's a $20,000 instrument used to measure wavelengths for all sorts of things... It's nothing special (over Ocean Optics) besides the extremely powerful software.

So, I ran into some of these recently and have been trying to get some info and application possibilities for me (great price!)... and I suppose my major concern is as follows:

- I know this unit can measure wavelength down to less than a nanometer in accuracy, but is there a better deal on something that can do the same thing?
    - Is there a more conventional (hobby-oriented) way of measuring exact wavelength without using THIS method? (much thanx to the poster, and I like the breadboard-style floor BTW )
    - Do you guys advise such a purchase?

I did actually recently purchase some linear CCD elements and did get started making my own setup, and then slowly drifted away and stopped... But I suppose that can become an option again

Thanx in advance;
    DDL
    I suffer from the Dunning–Kruger effect... daily.

I LOVE my USB4000

How much are you paying for the software?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I LOVE my USB4000

How much are you paying for the software?
    I'm not buying the software... I'm buying the unit, and it has a very powerful software with really (useless to me) complicated algorithms and the such...

Aside from that, I'm fairly certain that if I can get a USB4000 for the price I am paying for this one, I would go for the Ocean Optics solution. I'm slightly worried the software would be far too complicated to offer the really simple measurement I want to do... (I did ask for the DLL to make my own though )

--DDL

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

For visible lasers You can get a used monochromator out of a spectrophotometer on ebay for 30-60$ and hit one nanometer easily. Considering when you only really need it is pump diodes, leds , and red diodes and dye lasers, are you sure you want to invest in one? Ie every thing else laser is locked to a atomic transition and you need a huge spectrometer to see those drift.

1200 line or 2400 line holo grating replicas are cheap, and you cal them with a hene or a neon lamp.

I own one ripped out of a spectrophotometer. I worked on ones that could see a argon laser drift 10 ghz.

Tell me what you want it for??? Do you want to measure adsorption or emission or what?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Tell me what you want it for???

Steve
    To get a precise reading of the wavelength of a laser diode...

I want to know if I'm 'seeing' things right I guess...

--DDL

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    For visible lasers You can get a used monochromator out of a spectrophotometer on ebay for 30-60$ and hit one nanometer easily.
    Would this work?

I always thought these things have a really tight 'incidence angle' requirement... otherwise the reading is bogus...

Thanx;
    DDL

You can get a USB2000 for a little over $2k and that includes the software. I can send you a copy of spectra-suite if you want.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

I'm actually getting this for about 1/4 of what you quoted...

--DDL

Quote Originally Posted by daedal View Post
    I'm actually getting this for about 1/4 of what you quoted...

--DDL
    If it doesn't work out for you let me know!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

you try the way of the michelson interferometer

the moving mirror makes interference fringes proportional to wavelength composition of the spectra entering the interferometer

if you acquire these varying interferences with a rapid Si photodiode and then apply a fast fourier transform on the measured signal, what you have is then a composition of the light spectra entering the interferometer

calibration is done with a HeNe and another lower wavelength laser like an argon or so

if the scale is non linear, you can try to interpolate the other wavelengths using a polynomial function that matches the two (or three) calibration points in the spectral range you want (might be highly inaccurate outside the range boundaries)... but any usable precision would require at least 10 different calibration wavelengths

however, I think that this polynome should be fairly easy to find somewhere like universities or so, who frequently use professional michelson interferometers (as we use where I work)