Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer 112 minus 20 (free) competition

I'm gonna say 562mW
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Interesting data you've got there! looking forward to the next 'episode'!

It appears that perhaps there may be more than one diode type in these burners. I ordered several burners and so far the wavelength has been 658-660 nm (measured with a monochromator) and the Vd has been less than yours. Also the lasing thershold is 75-80mA instead of the 65mA in yours.

Here is a non-TEC cooled plot (diode temp measured from the back of the diode 20C at the start of the test, 27C at the end) of a run in my automatic tester:

As you can see the efficiency curve is much different! Still, it's an impressive diode.

Very nice Drlava the lasing threshold on mine was approximate it could have been closer to 70 ma due to the restrictions of the eqipment i own the scaler on the power pack i use goes up in increments of 10 ma so its going to be a little hit and miss lol wow an automated laser tester, is that something you made or is it something you can purchase and have you any pics i would like to know what it looks like thx Paul

Video 2 is here with what I think are some unbelievable results and this becomes even more apparent in video 3 in fact I am having a bit of a job killing the diode with my set up

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ESimFHAp2TU
    Last edited by kaz; 02-16-2008 at 11:26. Reason: problem with youtube

Kaz
    I bet the reason you peaked out on current is because your PSU is set at 5V and you are getting 4.67V across the didoe. If you up the volts in from the PSU, you will acheive more current through the diode.
    Infact I often test by setting the pot on the driver board and turn the PSU up to control the current through the diode

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Talking

Man... you can't even kill a diode... Do i get anything for being closest to it's peak?

I must say the set up and video are top nothc though. I like that lil project of Robin's also.

Ditto on what stanwax said. You peaked out because the driver reached max capacity at the 5V input voltage. Remember the driver has a current sense resistor that drops some V, as well as some small resistance in the FET.

My tester is home-made, it uses a national instruments DAQ board and a current control circuit with a large heatsink. The power meter is a scientech.

Up the voltage to the diefor and let's have round 3

cool thx for the replys guys ill have ago at that tommorow sometime, i thought that robins driver boards were only surposed to be driven on a 5 volt supply though unless i missed something if it is 5 volt i will have to rethink the setup for the diode driver

Wow, that certainly impresses me. Have you checked the beam at that effect? Is it TEM00 and how does the beam profile look?

Drlava, do you think this diode looks better than the "phazor"?

Regarding upping the voltage... here's a quote from Robin
    The D4Drive uses the supply as a reference for setting the offset current
    (and also setting the operating current when DRV linked to SET)
    This means you have to use a regulated 7.5V or 9V supply and the o/p current
    listed in the drive tables -
    http://www.die4laser.com/dvd-rec/Die...iles/Drive.xls has to be scaled
    for the new supply. 9v will give 9/5 times more current.
    You can put in a new supply voltage into the spreadsheet....
    Also don't go past 10V because the tantalum capacitor might go boom.

Kaz

They probably are only 'supposed' to have 5v input but then that diode is only 'supposed' to have about 180-200mA through it
    I dont know if the op amp on the die4 is a 5v only one if so that the only thing to watch out for, if its a higher range device then wind her up Igor! Maybe Robin can step in and comment. But until you drive the whole setup with more volts than the diode and resistor volts added up plus a little for good measure then you will always peak out. When the diode and resistor volts dont add up to the supply then those extra volts are across the fet - which is how it controls the current.
    Kill Kill Kill

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk