Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 405nm bluray diode macros

Default 405nm bluray diode macros

My bluray recently died from unknown causes so I took the diode below the threshold (still lases at about 1mW) and took these pics, I thought they were pretty interesting

what driver were you using for the diode?

I have found that my diodes do not have a good life span if the DC supply is not very, very smooth and if the current regulator is not of a top notch quality. Having said that, cooling would be the second item of importance

w.

When I killed my first one I ripped the can off and took some much closer close ups
    They are in my gallery but thats broken at the moment so here are 3 of my images
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bluray027.jpg  

bluray023.jpg  

bluray026.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Great photos! Well done!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by chimo View Post
    Great photos! Well done!
    Ditto Rob. How do you get them big pics of such small objects?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

That last one has a real sci-fi vibe to it!

I took them with a standard lens on my camera that goes in close anyway but onto the front of this I stuck an old lens from a video camera that I use as a magnifying class normally. It made a great macro lens combination.
    When the gallery returns you will see I have marked one image up to show the connections and internal components and where the 3 lasers are sited on top of each other

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Great pics Rob. Do you know how this one died?
    I'm looking forward to receiving my order of 405nm diodes.

ive built two lasers around these 405nm diodes... and they do that exact same thing to me... they work fine for a while, then the next day i try to use it again and bam, tiny output...

im using a power supply i got from meredith (LDD-10)

i eventually just gave up... dont feel like wasting another $40 on a 3rd try :\

Strange, what driver do you use and at what current do you drive them?
    I use a d4drive and Robin was kind enough to suggest a few modifications since the BR-diodes are so sensitive to power supply fluctuations.

Do you use a powersupply to drive the LDD-10? If so, maybe your powersupply has a turn on or off transient that you are not aware of? It is very easy to spot with a oscilloscope.
    Bulild a LM317 linear regulated supply and put that before the driver if you suspect that doesn't behave as it should, look in the LM317 datasheet for schematic.
    If you use a battery I have no idea what might be going on.