Thread: Creating "Nifty" Abtracts in Pangolin

Default Creating "Nifty" Abtracts in Pangolin

edit-what the hell's an abtract? wish I could edit the title! ABSTRACT

Ok, I thought I would throw together a quick video on creating some neat abstracts in pangolin. Here's the catch, you need to have either pro level software, or intro level with the full abstract a la carte feature. The video looks pretty bad, I'm sure there's a better way to do the video part, I just don't have the time to figure it out yet. Here's a quick explination of how its done.

In LD, draw several multicolored lines in the top left corner of the drawing window, then, I like to go to SFX and smooth the lines a bit. After that, go back to SFX and select "Spin", create 4 or 5 ribs, which will duplicate what you've draw 4 or 5 times around the center. Then, change to frame 2, open the abstract generator. Under the first oscillator, change the waveform to Frame 1, under color cycling change it to Frame 1 as well. Increase the modulation gain for oscillator 1 to somewhere around 100, then increase the speed of the modulator for oscillator 1 until you find a nice waveform, this you have to play around with a bit till you find that perfect pattern, once you've done it a few times, it is very easy to find.

So here's the link to the video: https://home.comcast.net/~djzurcher/MOV07804.MPG about 30meg

And here's the end result of what I created:

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4434.JPG  

Thumbs up

That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen... If only my red wasn't dead... I'd go home and try to copy it. I need to talk to someone about upgrading my abstract feature.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

That is the ugliest thing I have ever seen... If only my red wasn't dead... I'd go home and try to copy it. I need to talk to someone about upgrading my abstract feature.
    I thought I remember reading something about your red laser dying, do you have another one coming in for it? Will you have it for FLEM? Hope so, the more RGB's running the better

Lightbulb

I sent it back to marconi but have not heard back from him for about two weeks. I am actually a lil concerned that his back has caused him to go MIA. Last I checked, he hasn't been on here since Feb. 2... I sent a PM to him and copied his boss a few days ago. I am tempted to ride down there to see if they are OK. Maybe stop by One Stop also. Sounds like a nice bike trip to me. Hopefully he is just without internet or something.

At this point I do not have a red and if marconi is not healthy enough to fix it, then I will only have a BGC. I just got a PM from clandestiny about the TTL maxyz I sold him at FLEM 1.5. It is only 100mW, but that may be better than nothing. I just refinanced my house and got a decent return thanks to the interest on the house... (if i'd have known i'd a bough one sooner ) I may be able to swing a new red without the boss noticin too much, but where is the best place to get a red, and who can get it to me quickest? I could get a die4drive and a couple of diodes and we could build one at FLEM. But I am sure something will come up. I have faith.

Back to that nasty thing on your wall... Do you have to have all 3 banks for that?

Thread rezzing because this is the first time I have seen this and with all the recent activity regarding abstracts, it seems pertinent. Thank you for sharing the knowledge, David! I think I am going to play when I get home from work tonight!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

I just tried it myself, and I was amazed at how easy it was. Very cool stuff.

I remember when David first posted this, and it was one of those things that I thought "one day I need to try that", but I always had other things to do. Now I'm glad I did it.

Adam

About a year ago I saw the pic of the abstract as someones avatar on another forum, thought that was hillarious!

One good flashback leads to another -

Added DZ's nifty abstract tip to the Tips & Hints thread from a few years back...

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...484#post136484
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....