Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: four to one?

Smile

Plus or minus a few degrees is close enough. If you're off by much more than, say, plus or minus 5 degrees, you'll see the power drop off, but the loss should be linear. At 45 degrees, your power loss will be close to 50%, and if you're exactly 90 degrees off, your power output should be zero, or very close to it.

Adam

You're the man! Thanks again. I'll explain my idea/concept by posting the renders later today.

Joroen,

Just to expand Dichros do combine based on wavelength and like mentioned above PBS cubes rely upon polarization. But PBS cubes also have a particular wavelength that they work best at.

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    Just a new question without starting a new topic..

I have one 1W Viasho laser, and there will be a second one in some time. I would like to try to combine the 2 beams to create a 2W green source. Is this possible? Can someone do me a children-style-explanation of PBS-cubes and other toys?
    if what the specs say, you should have no problem,

however we had a customer who bought 4 1.5w's with the intention of combining them in to 2 3w's with PBS cubes. He tried and then said the lasers seem to be randomly polarized at best... He ended up stacking the beams side by side to combine them....

I would be interested to see whether you have more luck
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Jeroen,

If you already have the lasers you could take a PBS cube and see how much you lose at certain degrees.

-Max

Dave and Max,

Thanks for the message. I don't have the second Viasho at the moment, and I don't have a PBS cube yet.

Maybe Frank can confirm whether or not the 1W models are random polarized or not.

I am willing to bet they are spec'd at 1:100 polarization ratio - whether or not that is the truth. Like Dave mentioned, sometimes they are spec'd at something that they are not. Hopefully in your case it is a 1:100 ratio. That would mean that in your case (in an optimal situation - that is assuming no loss with the cube) you would lose 1mw per 100 through the polarization. So you would end up with 1980mw with two 1 watt lasers.

If you go through with this process please post the steps you took and more importantly the results! I would love to do something like this...

-Max

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    I am willing to bet they are spec'd at 1:100 polarization ratio - whether or not that is the truth. Like Dave mentioned, sometimes they are spec'd at something that they are not. Hopefully in your case it is a 1:100 ratio. That would mean that in your case (in an optimal situation - that is assuming no loss with the cube) you would lose 1mw per 100 through the polarization. So you would end up with 1980mw with two 1 watt lasers.
    Hm, let's hope so..

If you go through with this process please post the steps you took and more importantly the results! I would love to do something like this...

-Max
    I'll definately go through with this process. However, it will not be within some days or weeks. But I'll keep ya'll up to date!

Sorry - deleted, posted to wrong thread
    Last edited by greenalien; 04-03-2008 at 01:42. Reason: Deleted - wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post

-Max
    I have not tested myself, so I really don't know. I just reposted what a customer who knows his stuff said...
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/