Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FB3 and Bundled Software

Default FB3 and Bundled Software

I've just ordered a FB3 Evaluation kit.

Looking through all the threads here there doesn't seem to be any in depth review of the kit and the software that comes with it.

Does it do 3D?
    Does it sync with music (MP3/WAV/CDA)?
    What are the best features?
    and the worst?

Jim

im in the process of putting a review on my site, but its not that indepth
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    I've just ordered a FB3 Evaluation kit.
    Looking through all the threads here there doesn't seem to be any in depth review of the kit and the software that comes with it.
    I don't have the FB3, but I do have the software. (It runs on the QM-2000 as well.) I'll take a stab at your questions:

Does it do 3D? Yes.

Does it sync with music (MP3/WAV/CDA)? Yes, sort of. It doesn't sync like the QM-32 does. You don't see the audio track on the timeline. But you can get it to start playing an audio file at the same time as it starts playing the show. This is all you need if you've already got a music-syncronized show, but if you are trying to build one from scratch, you'll be doing a lot of trial and error to get the timing right. Also, I don't think there is a way to play a small section of the middle of the show and have the audio start in at the same middle point. This might make editing especially hard. (I haven't played around with this part of the software much, so there might be something I'm missing, but I don't think so..)

What are the best features? Well, the price, obviously. And the quality of the DAC hardware... Beyond that though the answer is pretty subjective, and I don't really have an opinion. Maybe someone else can take a stab at it.

and the worst? To me, the cumbersome method you have to follow to sync a show to music. But then again, it's only $500 for a complete package, so there's got to be a downside.

Adam

Maybe Bill may join in and give some info.
    If you do read this Bill can you say what programmes come in the software package with the FB3 and if there is additional software with the Eval Kit.

Ji

Yeah, it would be good to get a definitive answer to that one. As Pangolin don't list the LA Freak package on the site it's impossible to find out about what it includes, and as has been detailed in other posts, there was a mess up with the early ones where the CD got mixed up resulting in LivePro going out too.

I did ask this question about software, both to Bill and when i placed my order but as yet have not had a response despite having been sent an invoice.

So to clear it up:
    What software comes with the Evaluation kit?
    What software comes with the LA Freak package?

I have purchased a FB3 eval. kit (with dmx board) and the software bundled is:

LiveQuick:
    a nice and efficient driver, loaded with several animations, the same that are preloaded in the FB3 flash. It can perform live and permit a fine calibration of the galvos. Can also update the board firmware and reload the animations on flash, (animations are regenerated and should be reloaded, if the scanning speed of the galvos is modified). Animations can also be added and imported.

LaStudio package including:
    Abstraction:
    probably the magic wand of the package. Is capable to generate the most beautiful abstract patterns, with endless capabilities.

Draw3D:
    the name is self explaining.

Showrider, another toolbox divided into 3 sections:
    designer, live and player

Designer is a show editor
    live is an expanded version of live quick
    player plays the shows according to a time schedule.

Considering the amount of stuff in the package, the FB3 board is practically free of charge... (And I LLLOVE it)

What I don't like: all software run only with FB3 connected, so I cannot edit offline. (It is clearly a copy protection feature)

It's difficult to sinthesize a description of the whole stuff, specially in my non native language. Sorry for my funny english

So basically the Eval kit is exactly the same as the LA Freak apart from the addition of a DMX daughterboard and the commercial license? I'd say thats pretty good for the extra £50

Hi guys,

You can buy the kit one of two ways:

* $500 PLUS SHIPPING, but not including the DMX Daughterboard
    * $595 INCLUDING SHIPPING, and including the DMX Daughterboard

We believe the second is the more cost-effective way. We do it that way for a) simplicity (there are lower administrative costs at Pangolin if we don't have to look up shipping costs, and communicate back and forth with people, often taking around four emails before the order is actually processed) and b) to try to encourage the sale of the DMX Daughterboard, which costs Pangolin a few hundred dollars to make actually, but we believe customers will be ultimately happier with the system if they get the DMX Daughterboard.

Shipping costs are often $50 or more, so people are not saving too much money by going with the first option...

Best regards,

William Benner

The DMX board makes the use of the projector much more flexible. You can plug it to a generic dmx console without carrying any computer and run the effects without being afraid that the laptop hangs due to any WIN....glitches.
    Meanwhile, when you want to play more seriously... the usb does the rest!

Whooooopppppeeeeeeeee...................

My FB3 Eval arrived this morning
    Time to play

Jim