Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide Scan Angle lens

Smile Wide Scan Angle lens

Has anyone found/ use a wide angle lens to increase the scan angle of their projector?

I am looking for a lens or small spherical mirror to increase my scan angle.
    pangolin have got simular devices for sale but I am looking for something more budget friendly.

W.

I tried to find a fish eye lens from a camera that would be a suitable substitute for the discoscan a few years back, and came to the conclusion that anything halfway decent costs almost the same as the discoscan.

Optionally, you could use something like this: http://www.safe-t-view.com.au/catalog3.htm

I've seen them used quite successfully in shows and photos of shows in the past. One in particular had a laser projector at the back of a stage on the floor, projecting up at the dome mirror, which reflected the laser patterns in a very wide angle towards the crowd.
    Now proudly stocking and offering the best deals on laser-wave

www.lasershowparts.com
    http://stores.ebay.com.au/Lasershow-Parts

Hi aijii,

thanks for the info,
    have you ever used anything like this? how many percent reflective do you think they are?

It seems this place is in you area/ country.
    W.

Hi guys,

One thing to be aware of. Belive it or not, lenses used to increase the scan angle of laser for various uses are covered by multiple patents. When used for audience scanning applications, that application may be covered by one or more of Pangolin's patents (depending on some factors) and maybe AVI's patents too. And when used for flat-surface, sphere and dome projection applications, that application would most certainly be covered by AVI's patents.

If it's something you are doing in your house and not introducing the end-result into commerce in any way, you might be able to get away with it. Otherwise, part of the expense in our lens systems is a licensing fee that we have to pay AVI, not to mention the fact that our lenses are high quality wide angle lenses that just cost a lot to manufacture...

Best regards,

William Benner

You must be joking, Have a patent against public performance?

Please post the link to the patent, I would love to see this!

hahahaha..... hahahahaha
    Last edited by werner1619; 02-19-2008 at 08:12. Reason: typo

I wouldn't be surprised. There are a lot of ridiculous patents out there. The company I work for has several of them. But, I am not saying that the patent referenced above is ridiculous since I am not even sure what is being said to be patented.
    Last edited by carmangary; 02-19-2008 at 09:57.

Quote Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
    You must be joking, Have a patent against public performance?

Please post the link to the patent, I would love to see this!

hahahaha..... hahahahaha
    You need to re read what Bill said. Introduction into commerce of a device that increases laser scan angle and used in public display "may" (i am pretty sure it is) be patented. If you want to do it in your garage that is a whole another story.

Has anyone tried projecting through a fresnel lens? I'm curious to know what effect it would create.

I'd bet that Stanwax has been there, done that.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Has anyone tried projecting through a fresnel lens? I'm curious to know what effect it would create.
    BTDT and it dosnt do what you think it would, it makes great background effects tho!