Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grounds for murder?

Yeah, I haven't tried to tune it yet, but I realized the size issue yesterday. I downloaded your abstract show,and my scanners wen't nuts (I really hate the fact that showrider defaults to the maximum scan size, does anyone know if there's a way to change that?) I was playing with the little wobbly cone thing as well, and that kicked it when I got too big as well. fortunately, the stuff I'm playing with in live quick is simpler stuff, and that's where I have the 70% cap. Im going to look at showrider, and try to set it even smaller, 50 or 30% maybe, assuming I can figure out how.

also, have any of you noticed that your fb3 drops randomly? mine has a couple of times, I reinstalled the drivers to see if it will fix the issue, so we'll see how that goes.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Cool

You downloaded my abstract show? The one set to "Clocks", by Coldplay? I thought I saved that in .ldb format... How did you open the file? (I thought showrider used it's own proprietary file format that was incompatible with ,ldb or .lds ?)

If you got it to run, that's great. But yeah, some of the abstracts in that show are pretty complex. They will make your galvos work hard if you increase the scan angle too much. My old DT-40's used to "sing" when I displayed that show at anything above 15 degrees. My new DT-40 Pro scanners can go a bit larger, maybe 20-25 degrees, before I start to notice little imperfections in some of the patterns... (They are a lot quieter too.) But there's no way I can display that show full scale.

Adam

well, i downloaded your file as "clocks.zip", which, when extracted, turned into a "clocks" folder, with three files in it, a a readme text, a clocks.sho, and a file called "clocks" with a picture of a lock, grid and key from top right to bottom left. this file, (or one of the others), has opened in livequick and showrider live, but only as frames that step very, very quickly between themselves, ie, at normale speed it's way too fast for a show, and indeed something that I am almost scared to put across my scanners at full angle, as they're quite musical. neat abstracts, just way to fast, like each abstract is it's own frame.

hope that helps, I don't really know if I gave you information or not.
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant

Where is the abstract show?
    What folder is it in?
    I can't find it!

Jim

Hi Coffee,

A few points.

If only one pot is damaged, you know which pot *might* need to be adjusted. You can adjust that singular pot for the best appearance, and leave the others alone. If you matched the resistance pretty good going in, then not much adjustment should be made -- maybe 2 turns in either direction from where you are.

Second, most test patterns don't look good at full size. So you should definitely reduce the size before making any judgements.

Best regards,

William Benner

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post

Second, most test patterns don't look good at full size. So you should definitely reduce the size before making any judgements.
    I saw the most significant improvements when I adjusted the pot to the proper setting. the first measurement I got on it was 7.41 kohms, and the second (Which I got by heating a piece of jumper wire and basically reamaking the broken connection on the trim pot) was 2.45 kohms, so I was considerably off. when I readjusted the pot, my scanners came back.

I limited my scan size to 50% for zone 1, once I realized that I was basically driving a dump truck through my scanners. I'm fairly certain this has helped to clean up the test images, but I haven't run them yet (I'm in my hotel room, not a lot of room to set up a laser projector). I'll post a few pics when my friend with the camera gets back.

but again, thank you all for your help, it is much appreciated.
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    well, i downloaded your file as "clocks.zip", which, when extracted, turned into a "clocks" folder, with three files in it, a a readme text, a clocks.sho, and a file called "clocks" with a picture of a lock, grid and key from top right to bottom left.
    Right. The .sho file has all the cues in it. The file with the lock, grid, and key is the .ldb frame file that the .sho file uses. (There should have been an .mp3 file in there as well...)
    this file, has opened in livequick and showrider live, but only as frames that step very, very quickly between themselves,
    Ahhh. That makes sense. You've loaded up the frame file, and playing it back at 60 frames per second just makes a mess. The show file (.sho) is what controls the timing.

Still, I'm surprised that Showrider Live managed to open up the .ldb file. I didn't think it supported that file format. (Cool!)

If I re-saved the whole show as a single stream of ILDA frames, you could watch it in normal time. The file size would be huge though. (It would be one giant .ilda file that would last for 4 minutes * 60 seconds per minute * 60 frames per second = 14,400 frames!) Maybe if I get some time later this week (before FLEM Mark II) I'll do that and re-upload the ILDA version.

Adam