Thread: Scanner problems, round2

Default Scanner problems, round2

Arg, so I'm sitting here working on a frame, I look over at the projected image and notice it looks nothing like whats on the screen. Everything looked fine just a few minutes before. So I throw up the ILDA test pattern and notice X is way out of tune. I played around with tuning for a while and find that no matter what I do, I can't get x back in tune. Wondering if its an amp problem or scanner problem, I swap the amps to see if the problem would follow. As expected, I needed to retune both X and Y after the amp swap. Here's the bizaar part, I'm able to tune both x and y perfectly. Hmm, very strange. So I swapped the amps back, retuned Y to the Y amp, started retuning X to the X amp and once again, X will not tune to ILDA at 30K. I'm starting to think the orginal DT-40's have a date with my trash can.... Figures, 1 week to go till the FLEM meet...

that sounds kinda like the problem I'm currently having. I think it has something to do with the polyswitch, or some other part of the failsafe mechanism built into the scan amps. I've got pics of what happened to mine over here: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...4588#post44588
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Hey Coffee, actually the problem I see with yours reminds me of the very first problem I had with my DT-40's a few weeks ago. Found in this thread: http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...48&postcount=5

There's also a video of the collapse I was seeing on one of the scanner sets. Ended up being the poly switch. Which is still sitting in my projector with a solder bridge across it. Not sure what caused the problem I had tonight, I took a break for a while, powered everything off, came back and the x axis retuned just fine. I ran several shows with it and no problem.

You may just try shorting out the poly switch, though I'd make sure the tuning is spot on, could be you're polyswitch is doing its job properly and protecting the amp/scanner due to it being mis-tuned.

Yeah, I remember your earlier thread, which is, in fact what made me think of a failsafe being the culprit. otherwise I would probably have thought that little yellow thing was a cap and not a polyswitch. For now I plan to leave it there, as these scanners are pretty much brand new. I figure when I get back to the states, i'll try to give them a tune, and if I can't figure it out, sending them to pangolin will be a much cheaper option at that point in time. as far as yours are concerned, do you have any idea what they're doing yet?
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra