Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 405nm 4-6x burner diode test

Thanks Paul, I have 2 PS3 units on their way to my front door just to see that color. I'm wondering about this because with the burners comming these diodes will be developed to higher powers and become cheap at some point. Toshiba announced they abandoned their HD DVD format so Blu-ray will get the whole market.
    So can we expect these 405nm diodes to replace blue in our projectors? If a nice deep blue can be achieved (along with all other colors) I suppose so, at least for beam projections. Fluorescence might still be a problem for graphics projections. Hmmm, looking forward to the future of this.

Here's a photo of the dot at 35 feet, after it exits my workroom, turns the corner off of a first surface mirror, and lands on a black cloth down the hall. The beam starts out about 3x4mm, with most of the power in the inner 2x2mm.
    The ruler is in mm. So the collimation is pretty good.

Last edited by drlava; 02-26-2008 at 21:22.

Thumbs up

That's pretty impressive. What is causing the irregularity off to the side there?

I'm pretty sure the irregularity is from focal aberration of the lens focal point not being precisely centered (microns level) with the diode emiting chip. I've seen it before in red lasers at a distance, even with 'mil spec' USlasers mounts. I haven't tweaked this setup yet either, though. Someone more experienced with laser optics may have a better answer.

Nice Drlava, with beam specs like that it should be able to attract moths from several miles away lol, should look great in a scanner cant wait to get mine up and running
    thx Paul

Hi!
    Do you really know that it is the sharp diode? I think more it is an 60/85mW Sanyo diode. Before much time I take a Diode from a LG 2x Blu Ray burner, it was an 35mW Diode from Sanyo.
    Thanks,
    Phil

It might be a Sanyo diode, I don't really know. The voltage knee of most of the sanyo diodes is 3.5V according to their datasheet, and the sharp is 3V, which more closely matches this one if you extrapolate the missed sample. Can you post a plot for your diode for comparison to their datasheet?

I Drived the diode with 50mW output, it died after some hours !
    I have no datasheet in hand, but I know the diode had the same sign (the small black square) on the backside.
    Greets
    Phil

Interesting, how do you know your diode was sanyo? I beleive you, just curious. A diode from this drive has been run at 100+mW by a friend for over 30 hours with no issue (still testing). He has driven his diode up to 160mW temporarily with no failure. The voltage curve certainly doesn't match the sanyo 65mW sheet, and it is also different from the 85mW sheet (the 85mW diode sheet also indicates a feedback cell, this diode has none). It is possible that the sheet for this diode has not yet been made available.

EDIT: Sorry old news already, what remains:

"Sharp claims that they will develop [blu ray] diodes that support burning speeds of 10X by 2009."
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...rns_at_6x.html
    Last edited by Zoof; 03-07-2008 at 12:23.