Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Mame archives?

Question Laser Mame archives?

Hey guys;

I've been looking all over the web trying to find a copy of the original files for either the "LaserMame" or "Laser-Mame" projects. (They're slightly different) I can't seem to find anything though. The original sites are off-line, and no one has a mirror...

Do any of you have the original patch files? Sure would like to give it a shot on my projector...

Adam

Did you ever get an answer about this? I'm having trouble finding info on this.

Smile

Hi Abby;

Saddly, no I did not. It seems that the project is on hold indefinitely, and the source code is no longer available for download.

I'm sure there are a few folks out there that have copies of the software, but for whatever reason they are not talking about it, let alone sharing it.

It seems that, for the moment at least, we're stuck.

Adam

That's too bad, it was something I was pretty excited about. Even if I could only legaly play Astroids Deluxe. :-)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
    That's too bad, it was something I was pretty excited about. Even if I could only legaly play Astroids Deluxe. :-)
    Pangolin QM2000 ships with pangolins pseudo asteroids...., played it a month ago on a friends system. There are many Pangolins in california.
    you will find it...

Steve

Is it even able to play on the flashback anyways?

Smile

I don't know if Pangolin's custom (and 100% legal) version of Asteroids will run on the FB3 or not. I know it runs on the QM-2000 board though. I've played it myself quite a bit.

Nonetheless, LaserMame was *way* cooler, because it supported a whole bunch of great vector games from the 1980's. Tempest, Star Wars, Battle Zone, Omega Race, Gravitar, Lunar Lander, Star Castle... Great stuff!

Adam

MAME is open source. A crafty programmer should be able to recreate LaserMAME on their own. It isn't going to be me, though.

The lasermame your looking for never worked, and they could never figure out how we did it for some reason. there is a bit more than just outputting the points to a vector card. Also back in 2000 we were pushing the 6800's to the extreme at around 50-60k to get it to do the more simple games. I know Matt made a few mod's last year for 2 scan head projection, and was able to display even star wars game in full graphics.

We still have the arcade cabinet or the table top with the orginal controls for the arcade versions around.. No way I could bring this to the selem as that's the week of my 20 year class reunion.. too bad cause I would have brought a semi-truck full of laser show equipment we want to get rid of.

At one time I had an ILDA file that was produced from LaserMame. It showed the Tempest demo screen. It looked great when I played it on my computer ILDA viewer. But, it was not optimized at all and looked like gibberish when I tried to send it to my scanner. I would imagine that all that needs to be done in order to make it viewable is to break the vectors into pieces and then optimize them and put them back together. Also, I am not sure what the frame rate output of the arcade game is (probably pretty high) but it would need to be sampled accordingly to achieve a modest 20 or 30 frames per second that a scanner could handle. Neither of these are complicated tasks but optimizing frames takes CPU time and must be able to be completed in time to keep up with the frame rate. I bet some of Zoof's work that he did for Laseroids could be applied here. To me, it seems like the part that would cause the most brain scratching would be figuring out how to get ahold of the display vectors. I bet that if you could get ahold of the guys who wrote the MAME drivers for those vector games they would be able to help you, though. That's a lot of work to play some 1980s arcade games, though.