Thread: Scanner smoke

Default Scanner smoke

Anyone ever see a DT-40 scanner smoke?!

Best part about it, it smells like a new car!

Locks the rotor completely too!

Smile

You and Spec need to stop that shit! Torturing scanners like that... Tsk tsk... What would Jian say?

So what caused it? Did you accidently short something? Or did the rotor just lock up from a bad bearing?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    You and Spec need to stop that shit! Torturing scanners like that... Tsk tsk... What would Jian say?
    What would Jian say? How about what would I say to Jian! Actually, it was kinda fun smoking the two scanners, I need to see if I can buy up a ton of them, smoke them all and throw them in my car. I swear it smell just like my car when I bought it new off the lot!

So what caused it? Did you accidently short something? Or did the rotor just lock up from a bad bearing?
    Well, I know why my galvo went, though it didn't completely kill it, yet. We are not so sure as to why the second galvo went. It was very quick and dramatic with the smoke and what not. It has nothing to do with the bearings. The best I can figure and with very detailed info from SPEC, its the epoxy that Jian used in the original dt-40's to hold the coil in place. Well, as the scanner heats up, it reaches a threshold where the epoxy begins to melt, and guess where it goes! All over the rotor. I understand the new DT-40 pro's are suppoes to have a better epoxy that has a higher melting point. My dt-40 is not to the point of complete failure, but it will no longer tune to ilda 30K. I think the best we could do is get it to tune to the ilda pattern at about 14K. Oh well, what can you do... Well, thankfully I have a backup to my backup plan, I have my set of DT-40 pro's on the way which I haven't seen since FLEM1! But I bet they will be the best tunned DT-40pro's on the street!

DZ said
    Anyone ever see a DT-40 scanner smoke?!
    No i have not, what do they enjoy? ... Marlborough Lights .... or a big fat Cuban rolled on the thighs of .... ( well you get the picture )

if you dont heres one

all ther best .... Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails smokin.jpg  

LOL! Thanks for the laugh Karl, it was needed and appreciated...

I think, though, the DT-40's prefer Marlboro. When I purchased them, I was a bit surprised to find that the scanners were in thier mount, protected by a cut out corner of a Marlboro carton!

Hahaha, MINE TOO! LOL I was not expecting that one bit