Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pioneer-115D 300mw open can red diode

its not running hot?

but earlier it was running mega hot
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Robin says additional cooling should be used for >300mA, which is probably good practice. By just putting a small heatsink on it you don't have to worry about it anymore.

I also found it useful to add a fuse before the driver, as accidentally shorting the circuit with a screwdriver does bad things to the PCB when you use a 30A power supply.

I fried one by hooking the power up to it backwards. What could be used to prevent that?

A diode? Not drinking beer and experimenting with lasers at the same time?

Hahaha... that's how I fried my first one!

I rarely mod without a few good pints.
    Alas, poor diode. I fried him well.

So I bought two of these today and extracted the diodes. It was very easy apart from the last step; getting the diode out of the last little frame. I was forced to use the dremel for that, which was a bit nervous the first time.

As I powered up the first diode I was very happy to see it lase. Then I cranked the juice up further, past 400mA, but it didn't get much brighter than it was just above the lasing threshold. Even a class 2 laser pointer was brighter than it, but it was still lasing. Well, that's one semi-dead diode.

I proceeded to extract the second one, not letting myself be discouraged by the first failure. I was a bit nervous to power up this one. Luckily the second extraction went much better, so I have at least one working diode.

It really sucks that the first one died though, as I have a platform with the PBS cube ready. I just need one more diode. I'll have to go buy another burner tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    30mins still going strong at 290mw

Andy, You will get MUCH better heatsinking with not sheer mass of aluminum, but rather aluminum with as much surface area as possible.. Something like a heatsink rather than a big block of aluminum
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Has anyone got any collimated beam specs of these rather interesting new diodes?

Maybe those big blocks of aluminum are to keep the laser from falling off of the silly putty that is under it.

if its the same diode that i done the testing on then at 60 feet it was a 12mm spot using the optics from a aixim module, about 0.437 mr thats with a 4 mm at front of optics measurment
    Last edited by kaz; 03-08-2008 at 10:35. Reason: 12 mm not 11