Thread: Chossing the right DAC.

Default Chossing the right DAC.

okay well I just recently bought a LW CS-500rgy and I was wondering if a RIYA DAC would work with it?

Yes, it will work with it. Any DAC should work with it.

But, the more appropriate question should be what software do you want to use? Not all DACs work with all software.

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrolaley13 View Post
    okay well I just recently bought a LW CS-500rgy and I was wondering if a RIYA DAC would work with it?
    You gave up on reviving your old green one? xD

what program would you recommend?

@colouredmirrorball

lol no actually.. i have everything set up i just need the DAC and well I saw the opportunity to get the RGY one so I got it! lol

Default Open Source software recommended

I may have only one answer to this question which can be taken as general. Take a look at Open Source software. I mean if you work in a lab, with collaborators and students, the best long term way to build sustainable experiment, is to use free software, from accessible sources, based on common languages taught at school like C, C++, java. I know it can be hard to understand that when you do not know anything about programming, but look around you and find the right skills to accomplish your needs and you will see the benefit on the long term. So in concrete terms, when you look for devices like a DAC, look if the company provides a driver package for Linux (this is often the case though).
    I try to promote the use of Open Source software spread around for optics applications in general. Do not hesitate to ask questions at ww.opticsbenchui.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pedrolaley13 View Post
    what program would you recommend?
    Pretty much nothing beats Pangolin QS for quality or money at the price its at (it comes complete with its own DAC).

You're getting a DAC and semi-professional software at that price that's so capable but easy to use, that many professionals actually use it for professional displays.

You can download a demo here: http://www.pangolin.com/_Files/Setup_QS2_Ev.exe

If its above your budget, then there's lots of open source software out there which whilst not where as capable, will nevertheless give you control of your laser.

However, get into this hobby and I'll more or less guarantee you'll eventually buy Pangolin products as they're the dogs.
    Last edited by White-Light; 03-15-2011 at 00:44.