Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Scan Parameters

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    163

    Default Scan Parameters

    Some help required from the experts...

    I want to follow Buffo's ILDA test patern tuning guide but require some insight into the following scan parameters.

    I would like to know what the following values need to be in order to display the 30k ILDA test patern correctly. ( these parameters are from Phoenix- show controller and I will be using DT40 scanners and then on my second laser Scan Pro 30 )

    1. TO START POINT (RETRACE WAITING POINTS)
    2. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST DRAW
    3. EXTRA PRE BLANKING ON POINTS
    4. EXTRA PRE BLANKING OFF POINTS
    5. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST BLANKED
    6. EXTRA POST BLANKING OFF POINTS
    7. EXTRA POST BLANKING ON POINTS
    8. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST SOFT COLOR
    9. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST SOFT BLANK
    10. MIN MAX DIST SOFT BLANK
    11. COLOR SHIFT
    12. POINT RATE ( IN KILO POINT PER SECOND)

    these are all the settings I have to adjust just for the scanners in Phoenix...

    I have a good idea of what these settings are, but do not know what the ILDA standard values are for these settings?

    YOUR HELP WILL BE APPRESIATED

    thx

    w.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pflugerville, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,977

    Default

    You need to set the point rate to 30000 and disable all of that other stuff. Those settings basically massage the image in attempts to make it display better. But when using the ILDA test pattern you want to display it in raw form or else it won't look right. I don't use your software so I don't know how to disable it or if it is possible. I used the Moncha Software and it is impossible to turn off the blanking optimization and no matter what you try to do the ILDA test pattern won't look right with Moncha. I tried to get them to add a feature so that it could be temporarily disable but with no luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    163

    Default

    I don't think I can just make all the settings zero, as it effects the output badly?

    Anyone have an idea for these settings?

    w.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Which DAC are you using?
    If you're using the Phoenix DAC or an EasyLase you can use the EasyLase Testtool to output the ILDA frame...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
    Some help required from the experts...

    I want to follow Buffo's ILDA test patern tuning guide but require some insight into the following scan parameters.

    I would like to know what the following values need to be in order to display the 30k ILDA test patern correctly. ( these parameters are from Phoenix- show controller and I will be using DT40 scanners and then on my second laser Scan Pro 30 )

    1. TO START POINT (RETRACE WAITING POINTS)
    2. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST DRAW
    3. EXTRA PRE BLANKING ON POINTS
    4. EXTRA PRE BLANKING OFF POINTS
    5. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST BLANKED
    6. EXTRA POST BLANKING OFF POINTS
    7. EXTRA POST BLANKING ON POINTS
    8. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST SOFT COLOR
    9. INTERPOLATE MAX DIST SOFT BLANK
    10. MIN MAX DIST SOFT BLANK
    11. COLOR SHIFT
    12. POINT RATE ( IN KILO POINT PER SECOND)

    these are all the settings I have to adjust just for the scanners in Phoenix...

    I have a good idea of what these settings are, but do not know what the ILDA standard values are for these settings?

    YOUR HELP WILL BE APPRESIATED

    thx

    w.
    I wanna know exactly the same thing!!!
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Dr laser, you also running phoenix?

    Yes, I think it is the Easylase dac, and it does have the Test OUTPUT, but once again, if you have set it according to the test output, I still need to deal with ALL the scan parameters in the software...?

    I have asked Phoenix help desk and got a worthless answer! If only their support was as good as the software

    w.
    Last edited by werner1619; 03-02-2008 at 00:41. Reason: typo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Orlando, FL - USA
    Posts
    1,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
    If only their support was as good as the software.
    I guess some people might say it is!

    I have often wondered about this myself.

    I don't know this for a fact, but intuitively I would say that it could very well be that it is impossible to display the ILDA test pattern with Phoenix or LDS, as ILDA intended for it to be displayed.

    As far as I know the Phoenix / LDS system is "vector oriented" at it's core. I am not sure if it is even possible to disable all of the interpolations that go on inside.

    Let me know if you find some workaround. I am just curious how they would accomplish such a thing.

    Best regards,

    William Benner

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
    Yes, I think it is the Easylase dac, and it does have the Test OUTPUT, but once again, if you have set it according to the test output, I still need to deal with ALL the scan parameters in the software...?
    In the driver package from jmlaser ( http://www.jmlaser.com/downloads/Eas...ers%2BDoku.zip ) is a small testprogram included, which can output ilda frames directly to the EasyLase...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    163

    Default

    Ok,

    I know about the test output and have used it before, it's just that after the scanners have been adjusted according to the ILDA test pattern while using this Test output, I will still have to adjust the Phoenix "in show" software setting, as mentioned above.

    Phoenix Laser show software is really good, in a sense I can compare the software to another German product, the BMW M5, it is a very good car in all aspects and you have the option to adjust the car's diff, suspension, steering response and and and...

    But do you really need 8 different gearbox settings? Like Phoenix, do you really need 10 different scanner settings?

    Well can't blame them for not giving you Limited options in the software....

    w.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,116

    Cool

    Werner;

    Sorry dude.. I have no way of interpreting all those settings. Like Carmangary said, you need to set the point speed to 30K, but beyond that all those other optimizations will only cause trouble.

    There are specific parts of the ILDA test pattern that are purposefully not optimized for perfect performance. For example, the circle that is just inside the square is actually made from 12 points in a regular polygon shape that lies outside the square! The scanners never actually reach those points though. The point is to drive the scanners as fast as possible (so they're "ballistic") and then adjust them for equal gain and speed.

    If your software changes the output to optimize that center circle, then the tuning will be off.

    I suppose you could simply set all the values at some default and then leave them there. You still might not get the best performance, but at least it would be consistent. Still, tuning is going to be very tricky.

    Maybe if you keep bugging the folks at Pheonix software they'll finally answer your question.

    Adam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •