Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keyswitch recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Tendril

as you are mounting the laser up in the lighting rig its even more advisable to have a remote box keyswitch.

the reason being once its up in the rig and the key is in the on position the unit is live and allows un autorised people to activate the laser whilst you are away from the controls

if you are using the laser in public then its important to show that you have an easy way to disable the laser

the box is very simple ( bit like me ) i have attached some photos of my box

the main box has a short cable ( 5 metre ) this is so i can use it at localy at the projector, it connects to the projector via a 3 pin plug and socket

if i use it over the 100m run i just use and extension cable that extends both the safety interlock and the ilda signals

also the circuit is very simple

hope this helps ....

all the best ... Karl
    Thanks Karl, but you have raised another question for me.

If my keyswitch isolation box plugs into the laser with a 3 pin plug (I assume like this) then what is to stop some bright spark just running a new 3 pin lead to my projector? Is it becauce this box of yours just triggers a switch in the projector?

Also, my electronics experience is pretty much non existant, and even a simple circuit like that evades my understanding

Hi Tendril

thats a 240v euro plug

No.... the 3 pin plug and sockets are shown in the photos, they are low voltage and use a standard XLR connector .... same type of lead that is used for DMX signals

hope that helps

KARL

The only device I know of with such anal safety features is a Reactor Plant Control Panel that I used to monitor. That's kind of funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    Hi Tendril

thats a 240v euro plug

No.... the 3 pin plug and sockets are shown in the photos, they are low voltage and use a standard XLR connector .... same type of lead that is used for DMX signals

hope that helps

KARL
    Ah yes, I see that now. Still, I can't see myself sorting out a circuit like that. I wouldn't know where to start to be honest. What's a safety shutter coil?

Karl, in the circuit that you have drawn it shows the coil in series with the lamps (laser on and estop ok), with the key switch and estop both open current will flow through the laser on lamp and energise the coil.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    Karl, in the circuit that you have drawn it shows the coil in series with the lamps (laser on and estop ok), with the key switch and estop both open current will flow through the laser on lamp and energise the coil.

Jim
    I thought it was just my brain

well spotted jimbo ....

I forgot to mention that the lamps are high brightness LEDs with a 1k resistor at 12v

and the safety shutter is quite a high current .... about 500 ma to hold open

so no chance of any leakage keeping it open

but i did get get my Ov and 12v swapped over at the connector ..... oops

i think that caused the confusion

sorry about that , re attached with the correct connections

oh and just for info the 12v supply is sourced from the projector and has no PSU in the remote box

all the best ... Karl

Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails circuit.jpg  

It's the cider that does it Karl

Jim

Karl,

You should put a diode across your safety shutter coil. Unless that 12v from the projector is just used for that coil.

12v 500ma is going to make a hell of a back emf pulse from that coil.

chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.