Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Separate forums for Mamba , Pangolin, etc

Default Separate forums for Mamba , Pangolin, etc

How about adding separate forums for each of the display software companies - i.e. one for Pangolin (Livepro), one for Medialas (Mamba) , and so on. That may stop the proponents for each from hijacking the other's threads, and make it easier to find information about a specific product. (I'm getting fed up with trying to locate Mamba info and finding lots of stuff about Pangolin!)
    Failing that, could the mods at least delete off-topic posts!

robably won't be a roved

Last edited by Doc; 06-29-2009 at 07:55. Reason: Added more Pango stuff and corrected brain fart
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

I am going to reply from what may seem the other side of the debate... I really have no opinion on the matter, but am obervation or two that may sound like opinions.

Seperate forums will split the community a bit and since there are no moderators would only cause our illustrious benefactor, the Janitor, more work that he definatly does not need.

This forum will never have moderators because we are self moderated. If moderating meeds to be done, we will all take part in it as I am sure you have seen in the past. The Janitor impliments the the moderation but we all take part in it in one way or another. It is up to you to determine your level of participation. " " You can even use a smiley to two or mine... You'd be surpirsed how far this one will get ya...

(used for demonstration purposes only...)

It would be far eaiser to spread the work around and request the rest of us community members to post our software specific post in a manner that makes it eaiser for people that actually use the search function to locate said posts. Changing subjectlines or something; actual tags in the post itself.

As for the off topic posts... I take offence... Most of my posts are off topic. I can stop posting if you would like...
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 07-01-2009 at 08:57.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

I can stop posting if you would like...
    Heck no, allthat!

one for Pangolin (Livepro), one for Medialas (Mamba) , and so on.
    Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy solution at all. And creating additional forums would only clutter up PL, in my opinion. Another problem is, if someone says something incorrect about Mamba in the Pangolin forum, then a Mamba user is going to respond, and vice versa. I responded in a Mamba thread the other day when someone said Pangolin is overpriced. Sadly, it's just going to continue to happen, really everyone should respect other peoples decision on what software they use and on a "self moderated" forum, you should know that if you say something incorrect about another software package, you'll get called on it!

Just keep it the way it is guys ... i agree with DZ on this

even in a minority industry ... you still need competitors ... healthy competition is good

i have said in previous posts that i like and use both software packages ... but at the moment pango has the edge .... but if Medialas suddenly put out a free upgrade that had lots of new features and fixes and gave excellent support ... then that would become my numberone software ...

i guess im lucky that i run both and can compare ... but its good to see both sides of the story in one thread ...

all the best ... Karl

Hey Allthat... (and you too, DZ)...

I really like you guys.

Keep it da way dat id diz. If'n ya cain't run wif da dogs, then stay yo' ass on de porch!

I'm jiss sayin'.

T

There's already a really nice separate Pangolin forum here
    The moderator is a pretty cool dude.
    Last edited by mikkojay; 06-29-2009 at 21:37. Reason: think faster type than can

This was written over the past 15 minutes while sucking down a "catastrophic" amount of cigarettes and granola bars so please do forgive *and* correct me if I missed anything or this comes off as marginally offensive or needs more detail.

Can't we all just get along?!

No? Allright then...

Seperate forums will split the community a bit and since there are no moderators would only cause our illustrious benefactor, the Janitor, more work that he definatly does not need.
    I don't mind the "bitch work"... I do however mind the bitching that seems to circle these arguments.

To the topic of "unmoderated" versus "moderated" versus "specialized sub-forums" versus "free range clusterfuck"... The community at large here strikes a very delicate balance between the four; to wit: Back when the drama initially picked up I made an offer to one of the respective players to open up their own sub-forum to minimize the clashing... This offer was not taken up on. Looking back I am now glad the subdivision never happened. The topic of lasers as a whole brings a lot of intelligent and highly motivated people to the table... This is both a blessing and a curse in that the latter reinforces the former. In short: This isn't a gaming forum and doesn't attract the same kind of clientèle. Thankfully. I would have put a shotgun in my mouth at the first "PS3 versus Xbox360" thread.

Though, interestingly enough, I can draw a couple parallels.

Everyone has their own opinion *and* they are entitled to it. While I do find Doc's post above to be marginally combative it does go a long way in showing just how passionate people get over all this and their respective decisions.

I(and others here) believe that the co-mingling of the minds in "non speciated" forum headers is, in fact, a *very* good thing.

Please note that I can see your points and how moderated sub forums for specific topics could be a good thing however I do not see it as a good thing for the community at large to have locked down and leashed conversations.

Variety, as they saying goes, is the spice of life. Just be prepared to look critically at yourself. You might find the horizons a bit broader than previously anticipated.

Woooaaaa!

First of all appologies to anybody that found my post combative!

I have no experience of, and therefore; no issues with Mamba.

Maybe I should have kept a post like this one in the lounge, it's just that the thread starter seemed like the perfect setup for my (obviously failed) attempt at ironic humour.

No offence and no disrespect to any other software vendor intended.

Maybe I have a warped sense of humour.

My hovercraft is full of eels, Ian
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

Doc said
    My hovercraft is full of eels,

I said
    Would you like to come back to my place ... Bouncy... Bouncy...
    that in itself was proof that our british sense of humour is a bit fucking wierd ....

My 10 yearold son was watching Monty Python on You tube at the weekend and found the ministry of silly walks hilarious ... he told me he has done a few around the classroom at school and even his teacher pisses himself with laughter ( i cant wait for parents evening )

dont worry Doc... our humour comes across a bit wierd ... ask ol sofee boy ... hes the master of wierd

all the best ... Karl