Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie (n00b!) forum?

Default Newbie (n00b!) forum?

Have you guys considered having a dedicated newbie forum? (or a 'check here first kinda resource?) I'm quite aware that some of the questions I've been asking recently have been about 'laser basics' and have been smattered around the various forums, and I'm sure may have been asked before (although couldn't find for the life of me when searching!)

Having a forum dedicated to those sorts of things means that you are able to direct new people joining to read through the newbie forum posts and get 'up to speed' and the rest of the forums don't get junked up with all the annoying repetitive posts.

I moderate a DIY pro audio site (www.speakerplans.com/forum in case you're interested!) where we did that not long back and its proved very successful, not only for the new members but also the existing inhabitants. Some stickies or a wikki contain the really common questions and people can add new topics as required.

Anyway, food for thought....

A few months ago there was talk of us starting a wiki but it went no further

As far as asking questions that have already been asked, we are an helpful bunch and don't mind repeating things

Jim

Wiki, yes thast a good idea..

Quote Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
    A few months ago there was talk of us starting a wiki but it went no further

As far as asking questions that have already been asked, we are an helpful bunch and don't mind repeating things

Jim
    I did set a test wiki. But I guess It didn't go anywhere.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

Lightbulb

Sent buffo a PM, he should be able to give you a step by step list of links to all the threads any n00b should look at. Maybe it would nbe better to make a thread with all of your recent questions and let him some across it himself.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default Wiki!

Laser Wiki is a great idea.

There is loads of valuable information on this forum that needs organising into some sort of database for ease of use.

Someone slap Spec into gear!
    Regards,

Aidan

Cool

I'm sure you were kidding, Aidan, but really - Spec whipped up the event page for FLEM pretty quick, didn't he? I don't think he needs any slapping. (Besides, everyone is busy these days.)

A Wiki is a nice idea, and indeed Spec has talked about setting one up for a long time now. But there's more to it than just installing the code base and turning the members loose. You do that, and you'll end up with junk.

I think it will come in due course. But there are some issues that need to be resolved first.

Adam

maybe just a thread stickied here and there with relevent links would do the job

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Naahhhhhhh.....
    I fancy the wiki idea.
    • What is a dichro?
    • What exactly does DPSS mean?
    • How fast can scanners go?
    • Why is Bill Benner such a Laser God?
    All this and much more needs to be answered for us wet behind the ears pups in one location, not many stickied threads !!

Photos - lots of photos! That alone would be a great resource to many of us.

Phil
    Last edited by godfrey; 03-07-2008 at 05:32.