Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: FLEM !!!!

some great pics there.

how many people were at the event??

the room/venue didnt look very big
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by mados123 View Post
    Absolutely amazing pictures. The colors in some look unreal. Thanks and I'm glad you took them all. Great job to all those responsible.
    amazing what a 7 year old camera with a 28.7 mm x 19.1 mm CCD and some Canon "L" glass in front of it can do

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    some great pics there.

how many people were at the event??

the room/venue didnt look very big
    thanks...

i would guestimate about 20 people? but a lot of people were coming and going...

comparing it to the pics of the UK meet yes it was a small place, but it worked fine... there were 3 RGB projectors... and an extra RGB projector that needed some love (and was built out of depleted uranium apparantly re: HEAVY!!!)

and of course the old school RGB beam table and the GIANT pro beam tables

awesome

looks a great meet
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Cool

Actually, at one point we had 5 RGB projectors running. Astroguys, Mine, DZ's, plus Allthat's (made of depleted uranium) and the one that Lasertainment brought. At that time Clandestiny also had both argon beam-table projectors running, plus the laser effect with the holographic elements in it that Patrick Murphy brought, plus the LaserFX unit that Allthat brought. So that was a total of 9 projectors running for the max.

Unfortunately, I suffered several crashes while trying to record video during that time, so if you didn't tune in live, you missed all those projectors running. The video clips I have recorded show 2, 3, or 4 RGB rigs running, but I don't have any clips of the rig that Lasertainment brought.

Likewise, I don't have any clips of Clandestiny's argon tables. (Darn...)

I'd say we had a total of between 16 and 20 guests present. The room is about 30ft by 70 ft.

Adam

when u first see our venue you think umm a little big.

once we get going you think dam need more room lol
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Yeah, well, the room we use for FLEM *is* a smaller room. Still plenty of space for all we have though. There is a small stage area that isn't shown in the clips - that's where Clandestiny had the scaffold set up with his two beam tables and the Lexel 85's. Plus there is a kitchen off the back.

The venue we use for SELEM, on the other hand, is much bigger than we need. In fact, we had trouble providing enough amplification to fill the place with sound the last time. I think we've got that problem solved now though!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    In fact, we had trouble providing enough amplification to fill the place with sound the last time. I think we've got that problem solved now though!
    i could have just brought some of my 1kw altec amplifiers

Cool

If you come to SELEM 2008 this summer, I'll take you up on your offer to bring those amps! We have to fill an entire auditorium with sound...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If you come to SELEM 2008 this summer, I'll take you up on your offer to bring those amps! We have to fill an entire auditorium with sound...

Adam
    depends on what speakers you have!

i would definately have to drive... hrmm... what is that like a 16~20 hour drive?

i have 1x Altec 9444A and 2x Altec 9444B's that i have modified (changed the pre-driver section)

each amp will do about 600w so thats what, 1800 watts?

but they are not chinese PMPO watts, these are Altec (was still) made in the USA - set your speaker on fire and ear bleeding - watts

i also have some crown amplifiers, dont remember the model number for those tho... have a bunch of sound reinforcement/processing equipment (digital EQ's/compressor/limiter/expanders etc) and a small mackie mixer or i can borrow a huge 48 channel behringer mixer

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flecom View Post
    i would definately have to drive... hrmm... what is that like a 16~20 hour drive?
    Nah... More like 12 hours tops. In fact, Google maps says it's 11 hrs and 54 min from downtown Miami, FL to Newton, NC. But I've found that google maps is often a tad conservative in their estimates. I always get there faster. (And no, I don't drive more than ~8 mph over the limit.)

We've had people drive farther than that to get to a laser enthusiast's meeting before. At SELEM 2007 we had two people that drove from Michigan! Trust me, it's worth the drive.

Take Friday and Monday off from work that weekend (August 16th and 17th) and make it a 4 day weekend. Leave early in the morning on Friday and drive straight through. You'll get there in time to get a hotel and join us for the pre-SELEM party at 6 PM at the Artist's cafe. Then leave Monday morning after everything is over and drive back to Florida. You'll have time to unload everything and still be in bed in plenty of time to be fresh for work Tuesday morning.
    i have 1x Altec 9444A and 2x Altec 9444B's that i have modified (changed the pre-driver section)
    each amp will do about 600w so thats what, 1800 watts?
    DZ has a pair of amps he picked up from Clandestiny. Don't know the manufacturer or the detailed specs, but I know they'll do 1000 watts each when in bridged-mono mode. So that's 2KW right there.

At SELEM 2007 we only had one of those amps, so we had to run it stereo. That meant we only had 500 watts total (250W per side), and it wasn't enough.

2KW would be good, but 4KW ought to fill the room nicely. We can use the house speakers in addition to the ones that David has.
    i can borrow a huge 48 channel behringer mixer
    Probably not needed. The venue in North Carolina has a nice 24 channel mixer that we used for part of the first day, but then we decided to abandon it because all our gear was on stage, while the mixer was at the back of the auditorium. No one wanted to sit at the mixer panel!

Plus we didn't have the adapters to use all the house mic wiring on the stage, and running 100 ft of RCA cable back to the mixer really sucks! So we hot-swapped cables on stage and had a single RCA cable pair that fed the main mixer. (This is another reason why I'm going to bring my own mixer to SELEM this year - so we'll have a mixer on stage with all the equipment! No more hot-swapping cables...)

All we really need is a 4-6 channel mixer on stage to switch between computers as different people load up shows and play them. (Which is why I picked up that Behringer EURORACK UBB1002 mixer last night.)

Adam