Thread: Question about Alesis HD24 / HD24XR recorders (modified by Pangolin)

Default Question about Alesis HD24 / HD24XR recorders (modified by Pangolin)

This message is geared for Bill Benner, however if you have experience with the Alesis HD24 and would like to post a reply you're more than welcome to.

First - I haven't bought one...yet... :\

However, if I do purchase one is there really any reason at this point to get the XR version (which costs about $600 more)?

Is there really any reason to purchase one of these for doing shows if I'm going to be there running everything? I know I can use my computer for this, but I'm thinking the Alesis is more for automation and having shows at a venue like a science center that play every hour where no operator is required.

Also, what types of modifications are done on the Alesis HD24? I see from the photos that it has a ton of 1/4" jacks - but how does that work with a projector?

Thank you in advance!

Phil Godfrey

do you have an existing ADAT solution?

at the Miami Meuseum we purchased some HD24's and then wired them via optical to our old modified Fostex machines and basically just used the HD24's as recorders/players and the Fostex machines as a DAC/ADC

if you dont have an ADAT solution why not use a small device like the FB3 from pangolin? im fairly certain its pretty much designed to do exactly what your asking

No, I do not have an ADAT device.

I was really curious what advantages the HD24 offered in terms of less equipment to carry around. Since you can purchase the PCI/USB product and run it via a laptop that does not have a docking station it really wouldn't matter as I already have that equipment.

I was looking for a rack solution, and some more toys! But if I can save a couple of thousand because I don't need one - then I'm better off...

Thank you for your reply!

Phil

ya you might want to look into the FB3, its designed to be integrated into projectors etc...

http://www.pangolin.com/flashback/flashback3.htm

Hi Godfrey,

I have never heard of the XR version. My guess is that this supports higher sample rates, but this is just a guess. However, the fact that I have never heard of it, implies also that Pangolin has never modified one. Maybe we will one day, or maybe Alesis has made it impossible to modify for laser.

In any event, I should point out one thing. Our modification for the HD24 is a "playback only" modification. Because of the components they used in the input section, it is not possible to do a SIMPLE modification for "Recording" lasers on the HD24.

One option is to do what flecom did, but that would be an additional expense for you.

And actually, if you don't already have ADAT gear, there might not make much sense for you to get it. If I were doing shows, I would much rather have a computer system than a playback-only system.

Best regards,

William Benner

I do believe the XR version supports higher sample rates - there is an option for the HD24 that will essentially turn it into the XR version.

While I'm all for new toys and equipment I can't help but wonder if it would really be necessary.

I shall look into the FB3 option since the projector hasn't been built yet - it's all still on the drawing board.

Thanks,

Phil

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Adat is nice for four things 1. compatability when doing a commercial show when someone else has different software/hardware (aka collecting shows) 2. As a backup 3. As a source for multiple scan heads or remote projectors, ie run time code off channel 6 and sync your pangolin to it. 4. abstracts off a true analog abstract board.

if you dont need to do any of the above, its as Bill says, better to have another Pangolin product.

Steve Roberts