Thread: Mirror size and laser diameter

Default Mirror size and laser diameter

I purchased the 20kpps scanpro system and the mirror sizes are 5X7mm. I am going to use a blue with 2mm diameter, green with 3mm diameter, and 635nm red with a 5mm diameter. It seems like the red laser is going to need a larger mirror. Am I correct to think that this setup is not going to work?

You assume correctly. Under an angle of 45°, the reflected diameter of the mirror is only 0,7*5 = 3,5mm,
    Under small/big angles this is even less.

bummer, looks like I'll be buying some new mirrors then. How big of mirrors should I get. 8x10mm? Does anyone know where I can get a scanning system with mirrors big enough for me to use my 635nm laser?
    Last edited by yobresal; 03-06-2008 at 09:18.

Lightbulb

How far of an angle do you plan on scanning? I'd say at 20K, I wouldn't go over 20 degrees. I don't think you will lose that much off those mirrors. dreambeamz has a set and is using them with a 635 with no problems. PM him to see how much he is losing.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

always the Scanner mirror is 45 degree center, +-23 max degree scan(I don't know always scan degree it is , but our coating is 45degree center,+-23degree HR reflection), so the min degree is 22 degree, max degree is 68 degree, as the X and Y scanner, you will through both sin and cos degree change, let us think the min, 5*sin23=2mm, so it we used this degree, only 2mm beam can absolute reflect. yes, always we don't use that large scan degree, think +-10 degree, so 5*sin35=2.8mm, from this side, if you beam is 3mm large ,maybe 6mm scanner is better.
    for 5mm fat beam, you need more large mirror, but the good news is laser beam is Gaussiam beam of light, the power are in center beam waist, so the waste power is very low(3mm beam).you can see little leak up to the ceiling, yes? but if 5mm,that will be large during the working.
    need more information communication of using, maybe we can do something for you.
    Best regards!
    Bridge
    Laser-wave can supply:
    Green 532nm, 4W, 10W, 15W
    blue 445nm, 2W, 3.5W, 6W, 10W
    blue 462nm, 2W
    Red 638nm, 500mW, 1W,2W, 4W, 5W, 6W, 8W, 10W
    All diodes, All optics, All mount, All laser base and housing for yourselves building lasers.
    Speical products, 532nm, OEM-V-SS, 4W, 98mm*46mm*48mm; OEM-H, 10W, 250mm*88mm*70mm
    www.laser-wave.com or www.laser-wave.net
    bridge@laser-wave.com or 463366312@qq.com
    We Chat: 463366312, Laserwave-Bridge

Thanks Bridge. I appreciate your informative response. I will be looking into larger mirrors.

Unfortunately we all have to live with bad speced 635nm especially if you go above 500mw. Actually 650 will be as bad @ high power (800+mw). There are some ways to collimate the beam but it takes a lot of fooling around. You can use a collimator or reverse telescope. Collimator will make beam pin size tinny at the end but it will be very fat at the base. (Actually I figured out that I could make a good beam if I had 6mm galvos and 1.5x collimator. Mine galvos are 3mm) Or reverse telescope. This will make beam small enough to fit onto galvo mirror. This way is very time consuming because If you didn't focus laser properly divergence will be very very bad.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!