Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FB3 Power

Can anyone think of any downsides to powering the FB3 via USB?

I have a nifty switching 5v PS on mine that I'm quite happy with, but the prospect of not even having to bother with the thing at all is quite tempting.

I realize if I were to run on a laptop battery, that wouldn't make sense, but I doubt that will be an issue as I don't foresee myself running a lasershow on a battery-driven laptop any time soon.

Thanks for the idea though.. I have no idea how I missed this tip while searching around all over the board while I was implementing my FB3 back in September..

-Jonathan

Hi All,

I am considering forking out for a full Pangolin system, can't make my mind up if to get the Basic or Pro version. Will also get the "brick" QM2000.NET box and have been reading the comments on the FB3 card within PhotonLexicon.

I am not a wiz with electronics, but it does look from the pictures I have seen that you only need basic skills to get a FB3 working, I assume it comes with full instructions as to what is what and what connects to where. I also assuming that adding the DMX daughter board etc is just as easy, as this is the way I want to control my shows along with my "traditional" lighting and I do not want to have to learn how to use the Pangolin DMX controller, as I am very happy with mine.

I am also asuming that you could put a switch across those holes, that way you can have the best of both worlds.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers

André

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    Making an enclosure for an FB3 is not hard. All you need is a little case for it and a power supply. As mentioned in this thread, you can also power it via USB by bridging a couple of points on the FB3.

I plan on getting the full Pangolin system also, but the FB3 is very cheap compared and suits me well for now.

Here's one I made:
    LINK

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    Making an enclosure for an FB3 is not hard. All you need is a little case for it and a power supply. As mentioned in this thread, you can also power it via USB by bridging a couple of points on the FB3.

I plan on getting the full Pangolin system also, but the FB3 is very cheap compared and suits me well for now.

Here's one I made:
    LINK

-Jonathan
    Hi Jonathan,

Yes I saw you pictures and post of your FB3 enclosure, very neat and not at all over engineered. Making an enclosure is no problem for me as I work for an engineering company, that uses a Bystronic Bystar laser 4.4kW with Solidworks so I can get all the panels for and enclosure cut by that .

It was more of the connection side of things that I am concerned with, I can do basic electronic construction I have built a DMX controller from a kit, so I am Ok with a soldering iron and use a test meter. Full elctronics understanding is way over my head.
    I was asking if it came with instructions to what connects to what and pin-outs etc. as my rgb laser has what is called a "standard" ILDA connector, so I assume it would not be to hard to connect up correctly.

I have two different USB DACs at the moment, an unamed one that came with the laser and iShow (yuk) and a Mamba Black. I also have a unamed DMX/USB/SD DAC but that can only play back ilda files with the Pangolin colour palette. So Mamba or iShows "shows" can't be played.
    iShow shows use a 256 colour palette so if I convert a show to ilda they wont play properly either.

This is the reason I am looking to change over to a full pangolin system and get the FB3 card as it does all I need to do.

Just do not know if I can justify getting the "PRO" version, I know if I get the "BASIC" version I will want to have the "PRO" version, but at least you can upgrade.

Any advice would be most appreciated,

Andre
    Last edited by Onge; 06-07-2008 at 01:06.

The rhetoric I've seen here and heard otherwise is that you'd pretty much want to get the Pro version like you're guessing. I can't speak on that personally though as I haven't been fortunate enough to play around with either yet.

The FB3 comes with a 25pin ILDA cable and an 5-pin DMX cable (if you get the package that includes the DMX daughterboard -which would be already attached, if ordered) ..and it's completely ILDA compliant.

The 5-pin DMX cable comes bare without an outer housing so, depending on the application, one needs to supply the housing separately. They are both meant for an enclosure so they're short ribbon cables.

-Jonathan

The rhetoric I've seen here and heard otherwise is that you'd pretty much want to get the Pro version like you're guessing. I can't speak on that personally though as I haven't been fortunate enough to play around with either yet.

The FB3 comes with a 25pin ILDA cable and an 5-pin DMX cable (if you get the package that includes the DMX daughterboard -which would be already attached, if ordered) ..and it's completely ILDA compliant.

The 5-pin DMX cable comes bare without an outer housing so, depending on the application, one needs to supply the housing separately. They are both meant for an enclosure so they're short ribbon cables.

-Jonathan
    Hi Jonathan,

Many thanks, for you reply.

What a superb forum this is.

I think I will plump for the "PRO" version, as I said I know I will want to get it anyway. I am pretty sure that I will be able to cope with all the wiring etc. and if I get stuck I can always ask on here

Once again thank you for your time,

André

Quote Originally Posted by Onge View Post
    I also have a unamed DMX/USB/SD DAC but that can only play back ilda files with the Pangolin colour palette. So Mamba or iShows "shows" can't be played.
    iShow shows use a 256 colour palette so if I convert a show to ilda they wont play properly either.
    Tell me more about this unit. I have an FB3 for my rgb projector, but I also have two greenies that I would like to use via dmx with something more than the built in patterns. Where did you get this unit and what was the cost? It sounds like it may be just what I've been looking for.
    Fear Fair - Indiana's Scariest Haunted House
    www.FearFair.com

Quote Originally Posted by fearfair View Post
    Tell me more about this unit. I have an FB3 for my rgb projector, but I also have two greenies that I would like to use via dmx with something more than the built in patterns. Where did you get this unit and what was the cost? It sounds like it may be just what I've been looking for.
    OK I have opened it up and on the circuit board is printed "SHOWPLAYER MP12LX".
    It can play back upto 240 ilda files stored on an upto 2MB SD card via DMX.
    The buttons on the top allow for setting the DMX address, Intensity and Orientation. It can only output to a max of 16K pps.
    It cost £149, from fleabay, his shop is http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Laser-Know-...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
    His name is Gary and is from the UK, he stocks and supports all his products and is a nice guy. Contact him via his shop and he will sort you out, prefers to work outside of ebay if he can, I did with my RGB laser i bought from him and no probs with anything so far.

I have taken a couple of pictures of the unit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo-0001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	2721

Name:	Photo-0002.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	2722

Name:	Photo-0006.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	2723

Sorry about quality of photos, take with phone as my cameras batteries are flat.

Andre

Can anyone think of any downsides to powering the FB3 via USB?
    If you only ever plan on operating the FB3 while it is connected to the USB port, then there is no downside. That's how we do it at Pangolin and it works well. Really easy.

Where an external power supply comes in handy is if you want to use the FB3 for some purpose other than a computer output board. For example, the FB3 will run completely stand-alone -- just add power and it will start playing a show. And the FB3 will also run via DMX with the industry's greatest number of DMX-controlled channels for a small board.

So in the latter two cases, and external power supply (which may already be inside the projector to begin with) is needed.

Best regards,

William Benner

Good points. Thanks!