Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's collimated what? (expert [experienced] advice needed pleez)

OK I, deleted my last 2 posts in order to post something more constructive. 1st, thanks for the good info, Survey. Any idea what power and size cylindrical lenses are needed? 2nd. I'm not looking for a perfectly circularized beam; a 3mm square at the aperature and a small square at, say, 50 ft. (30x30mm) would suit me fine. Ive been able ,through different lens combinations, to obtain a small dot size at the ap and good divergence but there is some loss, and the beam isnt as clean as I'd like it to be. I've heard that this divergence (5~7 x 50 deg) is a tall order to tame. Using 1 small aspheric lens from a cd reader I can produce a clean 'line' (still with some loss) from the ap to 100 feet. Can a rod or cyl lens be used after a primary aspheric lens that's very close to the diode window? (~1-2 mm)
    to tame the fast-axis? And lastly, Do you have one of those diodes and are presently working on it, or is the project completed successfully?
    Pictures would be nice. "We love pictures."
    [Insert Allthat's smiley here]
    Have a good one,
    Steve

OK guy's, just wait a little bit.
    think I can put those pictures today.
    More I think I'm gonna put an entire assembly on pictures.
    Maybe, just maybe I could sell one of my babys... (simbolic price of course wich does't mean cheap). Just joking please be patient.

all the best

Jose Broco

Great! Can't wait to see some pics!!!

As promised, here are some photos of one of my babys.
    Yesterday when I'm going to post I just received another one.
    Hope the pictures are self explanatory, comments are wellcome.
    Note these are really heavy material, if anyone is interested in any part of it
    or the all thing, just tell.

Some of the pictures aren't good at all but i've tried to document all the parts. All the mirros you see are glass first surface. The litle one is at 45º. The motorised alignement optic is one axis only, still I have one with two axis.

The diode Housing and collimator it's ajustable and for a 5.6mm diode, it as one glass condenser, two glass lens and a pair of anamorphic prisms.
    All lenses, mirrors and prisms are big ones.
    Hope this could give an idea.

cheers Jose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

2.jpg  

3.jpg  

4.jpg  

5.jpg  

6.jpg  

7.jpg  

8.jpg  

9.jpg  

10.jpg  

11.jpg  

12.jpg  

13.jpg  

14.jpg  

15.jpg  

16.jpg  

17.jpg  

18.jpg  

19.jpg  

20.jpg  

21.jpg  

22.jpg  

23.jpg  

24.jpg  

25.jpg  

Hi ppl, trying to answer steve-o.

1-By power you meant f=x NA=y? if so you are correct my friend!
    Each diode, each lens. you'll need a table that can match the window of your diode, divergence in both axis and wavelength, then we can calculate f and NA and the size of cylindrical lenses needed.

2-"Using 1 small aspheric lens from a cd reader I can produce a clean 'line' (still with some loss) from the ap to 100 feet"
    Does it seem bad to you??? that's a good achievement (for the diode we are talking about).
    "Can a rod or cyl lens be used after a primary aspheric lens that's very close to the diode window? (~1-2 mm) to tame the fast-axis?" I don't think so steve-o, an aspheric lens is in fact a cyl lens, but it's miniaturised, if you look carefully you'll see that this type of lens is in fact like two lens opposed one to each other, so they collimate both axis.
    what you need is "THAT ASPHERIC LENS" to your diode.
    What I'm trying to say is there are no ideal collimator's. One is the best to that diode and at the same time the worste to other diode.
    But please don't forget that these type of lens (cd or dvd aspheric) are silica fused and they have losses!

3-And lastly, yes I've done so, remember each diode each collimator. Lucky? maybe or maybe not. Just PM me I've something prepared to send to you.

Thumbs up

Thanks Survey.
    I see that you're quite knowledgable in optics and lasers considering your Thesis that your working on (I peeked at your profile and home page.)
    I am sorely lacking in the ability to solve optical equations; Its all Greek to me I'm more of a 'hands on' kind of a guy, except in electronics where I understand the equations and am able to use them correctly (most of the time). I wish there were a calculator where you input the laser diode specs and beam requirements, and it would output the correct lens combination for the application. I suppose that would be too easy or it's just not possible.
    PM sent.
    Thanks Again,
    Steve

Thanks steve-o.
    Pm sent to you, regarding this threat.
    As I could see, not so much people are seeing this.
    Come on Guy's... we are talking about something serious, does anyone of you want a collimator hi-end for your red? does anyone want an adjustable optic? (far away from what I've seen here?).
    I know that they seem's pricely...But I'm offering WTF!

cheer's

Hey Survey,
    I didnt receive any PM...
    -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Hey Survey,
    I didnt receive any PM...
    -Steve
    But I did...
    On the way again, hope it could reach you these time

Thanks to let me know.
    all the best
    Jose

Default I need

Dear Survey

Can you help to collimate two different diodes .,
    I´m working from some time trying to collimate two different diodes but I have not so much experience in optics .,
    Please inform

Thanks

Fernando
    Fernando